Microsoft Signs $617 Million Windows 8 Contract With US Gov't

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Tablet-based OS, in an environment where absolute productivity is required and where employees have to be retrained to switch from Win7 to Win8. Hm...

Well, at least it's fairly secure.

bisso

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
While reading this article, couldn't stop thinking about the Air Force controlling a Drone in a war zone from a windows live tile. Surgical attack!

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
It's simply a refreshment of their licensing deal. most big companies (in the thousands) make license deals with Microsoft that include access to their entire software lineup.

I would say slow news day, but right now CES is underway so this doesn't make sense.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Very strange.
Usually, the military is very obtuse about new tech, it generally waits a couple of years before adopting new tech anything. Heck, on my ship we were using windows 3.11 fwg's, but that's the Navy and I don't see them in this deal. The Navy is hardcore when it comes to tech, it's not just some pilots' life in danger if something goes wrong, it's a whole shipload of men and women...
I even remember when the AF tried to jump on the apple bandwagon and someone found out ios was unsecure so they turned their back on it for a while but then went back...

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]retrained to switch from Win7 to Win8. Hm...Well, at least it's fairly secure.[/citation]

Step 1: click desktop mode
Step 2: learning curve is over.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]If your workplace has "training" for Windows 7 to Windows 8, your company is a joke.[/citation]
You obviously don't work with the general populace, don't you?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]It's simply a refreshment of their licensing deal. most big companies (in the thousands) make license deals with Microsoft that include access to their entire software lineup.I would say slow news day, but right now CES is underway so this doesn't make sense.[/citation]
It's also just after a large (and expensive) election.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]If your workplace has "training" for Windows 7 to Windows 8, your company is a joke.[/citation]

Where did it say the DoD was running win7? Meanwhile, Microsoft raves about how many Win8 licences they sold. How about just returning the desktop to its former glory, Microsoft, and watch people accept win8 with open arms?

G

I would like to know how secure is Microsoft from Chinese espionage. I will bet right now that there is some super gorgeous and smart Chinese lady spy sleeping with a high level nerdy Microsoft employee wondering if he is that good looking.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I see nothing about win8, just sharepoint. This will probably be a win7 rollout & maybe server 2012, but I need no win8 comment in there. Maybe the title should be changed to sharepoint not win8. Why is this even in the title? One, the source is MS, two they didn't even say anything about rolling out win8. All companies with this big of an agreement can downgrade to any os they want. Even smaller companies or anyone on SA (used to be able too, admittedly I haven't been in the licensing end for a bit - but I'm sure this is still in, just don't know how big you have to be to get it).

Any agreement would ALLOW win 8 but that doesn't mean they will ever roll out even 1 copy...LOL. This Zak guy keeps wasting my time. I was going to be shocked by a win8 DOD announcement, but this isn't one.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]Step 1: click desktop modeStep 2: learning curve is over.[/citation]
Sad isn't it? What do I mean? Oh, just how many people who post on a tech forum can't get what you said into their heads. And they're veterans/addicts/experts... cringeworthy.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]I would like to know how secure is Microsoft from Chinese espionage. I will bet right now that there is some super gorgeous and smart Chinese lady spy sleeping with a high level nerdy Microsoft employee wondering if he is that good looking.[/citation]

Americans seems to prefer hunting down internal espionage that actually matters [to the U.S. establishment at least] (ala Bradley Manning), than the Chinese-boogeyman external espionage ( probably a lesson learned after the infamous experience in dealing with Wen Ho Lee and Qian Xuesen ).

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]It's simply a refreshment of their licensing deal. most big companies (in the thousands) make license deals with Microsoft that include access to their entire software lineup.I would say slow news day, but right now CES is underway so this doesn't make sense.[/citation]
Zak posts quite a few "this isn't news" articles, unfortunetely. Usually the title has just enough info to make me open a tab. Thankfully the comments section rarely disappoints. :D

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fnh[/nom]Americans seems to prefer hunting down internal espionage that actually matters [to the U.S. establishment at least] (ala Bradley Manning), than the Chinese-boogeyman external espionage ( probably a lesson learned after the infamous experience in dealing with Wen Ho Lee and Qian Xuesen ).[/citation]Well after all, the best and most successful espionage is usually an inside job. You can get away with it if you're Clinton, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.