[SOLVED] Microsoft Software Shadow Copy / GIGABYTE Smart 6 Crashes Windows 7?

olip74

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Recently my PC has been crashing overnight, every couple of days. Blank screen, fans all running, no response from mouse or keyboard. At first I suspected a hardware fault but, when I checked the Windows logs, it seems that every crash has occurred at 02:00. The last entry in the System log for each date is:

The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the running state.
[Event ID: 7036]

The last entry in the Application log for each date is:

Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\Program Files\GIGABYTE\Smart6\Recovery\SrCmdCLR.exe Files\GIGABYTE\Smart6\Recovery\SrCmdCLR.exe" -c 1 ; Description = Automatic creation).
[Event ID: 8194]

What are my next steps?

Solution
Gigabyte Smart 6 was a utility that came with the motherboard and doesn't seem to perform any particularly useful functions that aren't already covered. I wondered if the Windows Shadow Copy utility and the Gigabyte Recovery SW were creating a conflict by running at the same time? But why would this only have started happening recently?

I couldn't find the config menu for the Gigabyte Recovery feature so I've simply uninstalled it. I guess I'll have to see if that's the end of it.

olip74

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Gigabyte Smart 6 was a utility that came with the motherboard and doesn't seem to perform any particularly useful functions that aren't already covered. I wondered if the Windows Shadow Copy utility and the Gigabyte Recovery SW were creating a conflict by running at the same time? But why would this only have started happening recently?

I couldn't find the config menu for the Gigabyte Recovery feature so I've simply uninstalled it. I guess I'll have to see if that's the end of it.

Solution