Microsoft Sold 800,000 Xbox Consoles on Black Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]And those ancient 360s are going to be replaced by the 720s the very next year. Good planning for the majority of the 800,000 customers.[/citation]
Not everyone is willing to wait to be able to play Halo 4 or use the console as a media player (which it does very well). Let's not forget its capabilities as a streaming (netflix) or Downloaded Content player (new movies).

Not everyone wants to shell out $100 for something that only plays videos, they might want the enhanced functionality of a game console, even if it is long in the tooth with a newer box right around the corner.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]And those ancient 360s are going to be replaced by the 720s the very next year. Good planning for the majority of the 800,000 customers.[/citation]

Why because they bought a console for probably $120 that will last a few years and didn't wait to buy a $600 console next year that will probably be buggy and not have a lot of optimized games like ANY new console does when it launches?

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
How can murricans buy xboxes when they have trillions of dept? Arent you supposed to pay what you owe to people before spending it on luxury?

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Not everyone is willing to wait to be able to play Halo 4 or use the console as a media player (which it does very well). Let's not forget its capabilities as a streaming (netflix) or Downloaded Content player (new movies).Not everyone wants to shell out $100 for something that only plays videos, they might want the enhanced functionality of a game console, even if it is long in the tooth with a newer box right around the corner.[/citation]

$60 a month for live for Netflix + most online apps, PS3 does win in that respect for Netflix atleast, plus has the advantage of a Bluray player

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
One of them was mine. But I got it cause it was a white special edition released on Black Friday. Moreover, for only $150 and some extra games bundled, great deal!

Now I have a new 7 year of library of exclusive games to discover.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]How can murricans buy xboxes when they have trillions of dept? Arent you supposed to pay what you owe to people before spending it on luxury?[/citation]
There's a reason they call it "The American Way".

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
This article looks dodgy. those numbers are exactly what was sold in 2011 black Friday and somewhat different to the numbers reported officially just a day or so ago?

G

Hell, the 250GB 360 Slim, with forza 4, skyrim, headset, and a controller, 2 months free live gold was only a measily $250.

I got one just because I work at a used game store, and never owned a 360. Now when I get the time I'll be able to pretty much get every game for at buy prices of under $5-10 for exclusive titles. Like the other guy said people that don't have one yet have a HUGE library of good rated games to pick up for DIRT cheap. Just because it's 7 years old doesn't mean it doesn't have any games still worth playing.

Graphics isn't everything to me. Loads of good games that dont come out for my PC to play.

And im sure the people that got one this cheap arn't gonna buy the "720 for $500" for many years till it gets cheap and a good library of games to choose from. Afterall whats the point? If you care about graphics enough just stay with a PC, it already has beyound 1080P visuals, and is faster than the 720.

Hell I still have an Atari, Xbox, Ps1, 2, nintendo 64, NES, SEGA genesis, SEGA CD, Virtual boy, Gamecube, all daisy chained to my spare tv in the guest room for good fun old times. why you ask? because graphics dont make a game.

[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]How can murricans buy xboxes when they have trillions of dept? Arent you supposed to pay what you owe to people before spending it on luxury?[/citation]

I'm American and I'm not in debt; other Americans may be and the government is as a whole, but I'm not and I can do whatever the hell I want to with my money even if I was in debt (although that would undoubtedly be stupid and hurt my hypothetical situation further like our government is doing).

[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Pshhh new xboxs are less than $200. Even a person earning 20k a year can afford one.[/citation]

Not necessarily. Making $20K a year in say Long Island, New York probably isn't going to be enough to buy even an Xbox 360 without some clever budgeting.

G

720's plan of having two hardware sku's next gen with be a problem for them imo. they are seperating play styles on hardware . ie. casual set top that downloads games and streams media , and a more hardware filled game box . they should allow the software to determine which the gamer or gamers are with profiles. another place next gen consoles are overly doing it is with streaming media , there are too many devices that stream netflix or hulu smart tvs , dvd players and stand alone digital boxes. the playstation 4 will be a big mistake once gamers who game on a budget fiqures out sonys next gen will not support used games , through the means of cd keys for every game.

i cant understand why people hate on the Wii U saying the next gen console is under powered to be next gen. nintendo didnt release it next gen so i am assuming its current gen. they released it 5 years after the other not there fault sony and xbox kept theres for twice as much. The portable console market is going to die this generation i believe the cell phone industry is geetting hardware capable devices that are cheapier on contracts. gamings future looks rough with microsofts windows 8 driven 720 with different tiers of hardware and sonys desire to steer away from used games killing alot of players ability to afford games, and nintendo coming out a bit early with a poor launch of 3rd party games , and lack of playable demos . all in all the downfall will be on our shoulders we expect to get too much and we give in too little. we need to accept what we got to use next gen will be a joke IMO. and its only going downhill

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I believe their government has trillions in debt, not the consumers who bought xboxes...
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Pshhh new xboxs are less than $200. Even a person earning 20k a year can afford one.[/citation]
I think he was talking about M$.

We 'Murricans' are generally not in that much debt. It was a different situation 3-5 years ago before everything was shot to hell, but we (as a people) have generally been de-leveriging ourselves over the past few years.

Our gov't is another matter entirely. They are under this odd impression that we can inflate our currancy at a rate which is slow enough to not hurt people, but fast enough to make our liabilities a smaller percentage of GDP. They are doing an OK job at it so far, but they are playing with fire and it is only a matter of time before it falls apart.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]We 'Murricans' are generally not in that much debt. It was a different situation 3-5 years ago before everything was shot to hell, but we (as a people) have generally been de-leveriging ourselves over the past few years.Our gov't is another matter entirely. They are under this odd impression that we can inflate our currancy at a rate which is slow enough to not hurt people, but fast enough to make our liabilities a smaller percentage of GDP. They are doing an OK job at it so far, but they are playing with fire and it is only a matter of time before it falls apart.[/citation]

They've just been inflating the bubbles. When they burst, they'll probably do so all the worse as a result, albeit at later times. I'd rather they just fixed the problem at the sources since not doing so will undoubtedly mean repeats of this, perhaps even worse than the current economic problems are and will be in the next few years.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]getochkn[/nom]Why because they bought a console for probably $120 that will last a few years and didn't wait to buy a $600 console next year that will probably be buggy and not have a lot of optimized games like ANY new console does when it launches?[/citation]

my thoughts exactly ... i didnt get a xbox 360 till 2008 that's 3 years after it launched in 2005 why pay 600 bucks for a console that is bound to ahve bugs , when you can wait 3-4 years and get it with most the kinks worked out

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
With all that revenue you'd think they could host a few servers for free. I won't give my hard earned cash to M$ because it will become even more of an industry standard to charge to play. Sometimes I really miss the 1990's when there was creativity, better music, and inspiration in video games.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

Well not that low. I guess I had to get up early or stay go out on Thanksgiving for that price. I did get a 4G system for $150 on Friday afternoon for a present for someone.

I use my PS to play BluRay and surf the web. Oh what.. that's my HTPC :kaola:

Can said HTPC play Blu-Ray movies and 3D Blu-Ray movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.