Microsoft Starting to Plan for Office 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
did you know that office 2007 was infact version twelve of the windows versions? Microsoft skipped version 13 and jumped to version 14 because they think 13 is an unlucky number. look it up if you dont believe me.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]People are already struggling and delaying upgrading to office 2007, what could office 2010 have that I possibly need?[/citation]
64 bit sound good to you? Much improved user interface? Try the beta and see if you like it, if not then you won't have to wonder, you'll know for sure! Cheers.

_SirO_

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
You can complain about whatever you want, but the fact is that MS keeps pushing the envelope and does not stagnate.

I wish I knew how to properly work with all their office apps, I just began working with OneNote, and I love it.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]I enjoy Microsoft's new clever naming scheme of products...what's next...zune 3?[/citation]
?
Microsoft has already started planning for Office 15, which will be the version after Office 2010 (the fourteenth iteration of Office).
If you look into the install files windows 2010 is listed under office 14 in some cases this numbering is not an official name just pointing out that it's the 15th version to pop out so just

[citation][nom]wesleywatson[/nom]64 bit? Christ, who needs 3GB of memory reserved for a word document they're typing up?[/citation]
Excell and access is more where 64bit is wanted. :D

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]64 bit sound good to you? Much improved user interface? Try the beta and see if you like it, if not then you won't have to wonder, you'll know for sure! Cheers.[/citation]

Yes it's good and all, but more most users completley unnescessary, especially when the large corporations they are targeting AREN'T running 64 bit systems.....

I would think they'd be better off improving multi-thread efficiency first

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]abhik[/nom]did you know that office 2007 was infact version twelve of the windows versions? Microsoft skipped version 13 and jumped to version 14 because they think 13 is an unlucky number. look it up if you dont believe me.[/citation]
So maybe this should be "Office 14.1."

G

Like, what has Office 2000 missing that latest office packs have that's absolutely necessary?
Nearly nothing. For the average person, if Office 2000 would only have worked on Win7, we'd have more than enough with that!

Why does everything HAVE to become more and more stuffed, more and more graphical and visual?
To the point where it stresses ordinary processors so much it's barely able to run on an ordinary computer, and for what? To write a sheet of paper?
Come on!
I really could do without all the extra's. Many of the things incorporated are only there so that you can buy the newest Office, without ever using something in there that isn't already there in earlier office packs!

I'm slowly starting to get tired of MS, forcing users to purchase a new pack every year!

I wish some sort of competitor would rise up, create a great working, light kernel, that is fast, energy efficient, and a graphical desktop that really is focused on performance and battery life, instead of all this visual battery eating crap!

So far Xubuntu would be great, I wished only that there would be more software packs and games converted to this platform!

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]Yes it's good and all, but more most users completley unnescessary, especially when the large corporations they are targeting AREN'T running 64 bit systems.....I would think they'd be better off improving multi-thread efficiency first[/citation]

I guess all 64-bit OS's are "completely unnecessary especially when the large corporations they are targeting AREN'T running 64 bit systems" too. What gets installed on my system or yours or anyone's for that matter, doesn't have to be controlled by what large corporation's PC's are running. Your stance is naive.
I'd welcome 64 bit. Doesn't mean I need more RAM for docs and whatnot but if my OS is 64, why not get 64 programs to compliment it.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Actually it isn't anywhere near the 15th iteration of Office. In Windows 3.1 people were using Word 2.0c before Word 95 shipped. I think it was Excel that had the highest version number. With the release of Office 95 the version numbers were brought into sync with each other. Word went from 2 to 7 if I remember correctly. 13 was also skipped.

The iterations since I entered the work force have been Word 2.0, 95, 97, 98 (I think it was Mac only), 2000, XP, 2007 and now 2010. So not counting minor updates that makes Office 15 the 9th iteration of Word, Access and probably PowerPoint for Windows. It is incredible how short human memories and a version number can give a product history and depth :).

So the real question - If MS is still pumping out versions of office will the 15th iteration (when it gets here in the 2022-2028 time frame) really include the Kitchen sink? Will I need 1 TB of RAM to run it? :D

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
wow! Naming scheme does not really mean anything for professional users ;-)

We've just switched from Office 97 to Office 2000 at work...
And I guess it is the same for many companies.
Oh and we are also using it on XP and IE is still IE6.
Fortunately we are allowed to use Firefox instead ... the 1.7 version.
:-(
Anyway, knowing that MS is working on Office 2015 is not surprising.
It would be surprising if they only start to work on it in 2014.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
MS and other companies should just draw the line and write 64bit only for all OS/Apps... then and only then can I get descent 64bit graphics driver!

dedhorse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Why does everything HAVE to become more and more stuffed, more and more graphical and visual?To the point where it stresses ordinary processors so much it's barely able to run on an ordinary computer, and for what? To write a sheet of paper?Come on!I really could do without all the extra's... I'm slowly starting to get tired of MS, forcing users to purchase a new pack every year![/citation]

Who's forcing you to buy anything? You don't want all those extras to write a sheet of paper? Use Wordpad or Works. They come bundled with nearly every windows distribution. Or use OpenOffice, or any other free word processor out there. Seriously, what are you complaining about? Does someone have a gun to your head saying you have to use the latest version of Office at all times? What a lame rant.

G

There are tons of reasons to use a 64bit Office Application not just Excel and Access :), how about outlook with a 64bit MAPI client for those exchange power users with large mailboxes and in some cases even larger PST files! How about 3rd party applications that work with office MAPI or Macro related! IE... backup solutions that would benefit from a 64bit MAPI client for mailbox level backups. Why restore an entire exchange database when I can restore a single piece of mail faster than a 32bit MAPI. It’s not all about how much memory it can access it’s also about performance. Think about it from an administration point of view an administrator that is not old and set in his ways with suspenders and a belt yelling get off my network! imho lol

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]wesleywatson[/nom]64 bit? Christ, who needs 3GB of memory reserved for a word document they're typing up?[/citation]
Clearly you don't understand the real benefits of 64 bit programs. If you're using a 64 bit OS then it makes more sense to use 64 bit programs - not to mention that for anyone who multitasks within the Office suite will get real world benefits from running a 64 bit version. And as someone pointed it out already, there's more to Office than just Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.