Microsoft Starts Selling PCs Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I believe that the website was a little rushed.

They only have one desktop for sale.

Hmmmmm...... I guess I will take that one.

I am sure it will get better.

They really need to kick it up a notch.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]I admit I haven't visited the site, but what can i get from them that I can't get any place else?And how are the prices?[/citation]
Did you read the article?
The link to the website is right there.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Taking a quick gander at their store, methinks I can get a better deal on a Windows PC elsewhere, for example, I know someone who picked up a new compaq laptop with intel dual core chip, 3gb of ram and 250 gb hard drive with windows 7 upgrade for under 400 bucks. Kinda liking that....

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
They have four desktop categories but only one computer!? It seems they forgot to finish the website by launch day? I hope this isn't a sign that Win 7 will be yet another "unfinished" OS from Microsoft.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm impressed with the store overall, I like how the products are automatically grouped. It may get cumbersome once there are more products, but for now it's very nice.

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Haven't visited the store yet, but from the look of the website it's a typical MS marketing design sore. Put the MS website and Apple website next to each other. Apple is just so much more elegant and easy to navigate. MS is just Best Buy website with MS logo on it. It's truly baffling to me how Apple seems to come up with an elegant design for everything time after time and everyone else, including those that try to emulate it, just produce a bunch of cloned garbage.

[citation][nom]ohiou_grad_06[/nom]Taking a quick gander at their store, methinks I can get a better deal on a Windows PC elsewhere, for example, I know someone who picked up a new compaq laptop with intel dual core chip, 3gb of ram and 250 gb hard drive with windows 7 upgrade for under 400 bucks. Kinda liking that....[/citation]
Yeah, saw that or smiler deal too. At Microcenter and Tiger.

Here's the Microcenter link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0319828
$400.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
No thank you MS, I will pick up a nice PC elsewhere and wipe your OS in favor of Linux.
Let the little MS fanboy trolls flame away.

badger101101

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
It's the first sane website that Microsoft has ever created. Well done! Competition has done you good Microsoft. Too bad there is nothing on it that I want to buy. Linux occupies every computer in my home and we are happier with it than we ever were with Windows.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Decent site, though it deffinetely could use some work.
Also could use some more aggressive pricing.

Regardless, I think it's a good step for Microsoft, and if they built a Microsoft store nearby, I'd go check it out.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]ohiou_grad_06[/nom]Taking a quick gander at their store, methinks I can get a better deal on a Windows PC elsewhere, for example, I know someone who picked up a new compaq laptop with intel dual core chip, 3gb of ram and 250 gb hard drive with windows 7 upgrade for under 400 bucks. Kinda liking that....[/citation]

Yes... you will, and so will plenty of others who know enough about PC's to be able to determine what constitutes a bargain and what doesn't... this store isn't for the likes of you (or me :) ) What this does do however is help take the 'unknown' quantity out of shopping around for a PC, something which a lot of 'joe public' will find of great benefit.

Yeah, the store design seems ok, simple, easy to use, just enough colour to not be bland and souless, not enough to be gaudy and eye hurtin.'

Phexac... errr, look at the store before commenting on how it looks... it helps to have seen what you are slating wen slating it on visual grounds. Having actually seen both, I'd say there isn't much between them at all, I prefer (and always have) that MS have a bit of colour in there (after all, that minimalist look got tired in the 60's) but that's just personal preference.

MS would have been much better served by waiting until they had added a lot more content though, this is going to put a lot of people off as who may not revisit when they ned a computer. Hopefully they wil include some of the higher end machines (HP Firebird... HP Firebird) and all the stuff shown at the launch party. I'm sure prices will fluctuate to meet market demands too.

Hopefulyl with all this marketing, MS will finally realise they don't need to plaster their partners machines with annoying little stickers like a student's fridge...

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]No thank you MS, I will pick up a nice PC elsewhere and wipe your OS in favor of Linux. Let the little MS fanboy trolls flame away.[/citation]

I've hardly seen anyone flame or troll Linux around here, it's usually the other way around ... (you little ... err never mind)

And a second thing, Windows 7 just launched, we all know how great and wonderful and secure and how low requirements Linux has, but still, take the day off please.

See ya!

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
well something is obvious here... Regulas is a fanboy, fanboy of precious Linux!! good for you. now what?!

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
why not get the product distribution agreements in place before announcing "wheee!! we have an online store too!"

they have about as many products for sale as my moms ebay store.

pretty thin guys. pretty thin.

embarrassing.

G

Microsoft should focus on trying to make their OS better instead of trying to sell PC's. What a joke. They should get one thing right before trying to do another thing. I mean Come on, look at Bing, What an awful search engine. Decision engine?..I think not! The only decision I made what not to use it!

www.sellbits.com - "The Simple Way To Sell"

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]No thank you MS, I will pick up a nice PC elsewhere and wipe your OS in favor of Linux. Let the little MS fanboy trolls flame away.[/citation]
Not a flame really, I like Windows and Linux both personally... But why buy a PC with windows on it if you're going to wipe it for Linux? Just get it without the OS, or build it yourself...

Anyway back on the topic of the story, I don't understand why Microsoft needs it's own store. There are plenty of retail stores that sell MS stuff... Maybe I'm missing something because I never buy PCs from a retail store. For me personally it's a waste of resources, I don't need to see it in person or have a salesperson available for questions for me to know what I want. But I can understand why some people need/want this. I just thought there was already plenty of options for MS products without the need for their own dedicated store...

Status
Not open for further replies.