Question Microsoft store replaces items on a new installation

May 8, 2022
I have a unique situation. I have a PC with Windows 10 Pro installed. I replaced my harddrive and installed Windows 10 as a completely new installation. After doing my configuration, I did all the Windows updates. Finally, I did the updates in the Microsoft Store. What happened was, that in the item list, applications that I had downloaded from my previous installation were listed as acquired and purchased. The trouble is I never logged into my Microsoft account. The purchases were free downloads so not real purchases, I understand they are just listed like that. So what I would eventually like to do is sell my computer. I don't want my Windows installation to list my old applications and etc. So how can I clear my pc completely? One thing I researched was the key associated with the BIOS. I understand it's unique to the PC the Windows is installed in. So I figured, I would try a new purchase of Windows. So I purchased Windows 10 Home Edition and when I installed it, all those apps showed up in the Microsoft store again. This is ridiculous. How can you alter that. Can I manually change the key and install it again? If yes, can I just retrieve the activation key, change the BIOS key and reinstall with it like that? Before I try again, I wanted to see if someone has expert experience with this. I am new here, but heard there are alot of pro users in this forum. Any advice would be nice.

I have a unique situation. I have a PC with Windows 10 Pro installed. I replaced my harddrive and installed Windows 10 as a completely new installation. After doing my configuration, I did all the Windows updates. Finally, I did the updates in the Microsoft Store. What happened was, that in the item list, applications that I had downloaded from my previous installation were listed as acquired and purchased. The trouble is I never logged into my Microsoft account. The purchases were free downloads so not real purchases, I understand they are just listed like that. So what I would eventually like to do is sell my computer. I don't want my Windows installation to list my old applications and etc. So how can I clear my pc completely? One thing I researched was the key associated with the BIOS. I understand it's unique to the PC the Windows is installed in. So I figured, I would try a new purchase of Windows. So I purchased Windows 10 Home Edition and when I installed it, all those apps showed up in the Microsoft store again. This is ridiculous. How can you alter that. Can I manually change the key and install it again? If yes, can I just retrieve the activation key, change the BIOS key and reinstall with it like that? Before I try again, I wanted to see if someone has expert experience with this. I am new here, but heard there are alot of pro users in this forum. Any advice would be nice.
Well for starters, if you go to the Microsoft website and log into your account, you can select Devices and determine precisely which devices are linked to that account. If you are planning on selling your computer you can remove it from your account's list. Obviously you could also either remove the disk drives or wipe them clean before sale and just sell it as an unlicensed computer. You could also change your account's password just in case your think the buyer might know your account name and password. There are additional security options available although for some reason I don't see an option to close the account.