Review Microsoft Surface Book 3 (15-inch) Review: Tablet Trade-Offs

roxton

Honorable
May 20, 2015
As of this writing, a 16-inch MacBook Pro that is similarly specced (9th Gen Core i7, 32GB of RAM, 512GB of storage, AMD Radeon RX 5500M) is $2,899.99. A Dell XPS 15 with a 10th Gen Core i7, 1TB of storage, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 32GB of RAM and 4K touchscreen is $2,400. Both are cheaper than the $2,799.99 Surface Book 3 we reviewed
$2400 (XPS15) < $2800 (SB3) < $2900 (MacBook) - doesn't seem that both are cheaper.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
you guys miss the following pros of this Product :

1- The ONLY 15 inch Tablet in the market .
2- The best Pen Experience on a windows Tablet nothing can beat it.
3- Two USB 3.2 GEN 2 TYPE A Plus one Type C
4- Light for a 15 inch 2 in one with dedicated fast GPU (1.9kg )

Jun 16, 2020
you guys miss the following pros of this Product :

1- The ONLY 15 inch Tablet in the market .
2- The best Pen Experience on a windows Tablet nothing can beat it.
3- Two USB 3.2 GEN 2 TYPE A Plus one Type C
4- Light for a 15 inch 2 in one with dedicated fast GPU (1.9kg )

How do you find the tablet reading / web browsing experience? Is 15in too big? Also wondering how reading experience compares to dedicated high end tablets like Samsung Tab or iPadPro?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
How do you find the tablet reading / web browsing experience? Is 15in too big? Also wondering how reading experience compares to dedicated high end tablets like Samsung Tab or iPadPro?

For reading you will need a lighter Tablet so you dont get tired with time . The 15 inch tablet is good for ART and pen use Mostly ... Actually nothing can come near it when it comes to ART and design because you need the extra space ...

forget about Samsung Android Tablets , it is nothing compared to IPAD pro 2020 ... and for Reading only , IPAD is the best choice ...

If you need to run Windows APPS on Tablets and do some readings at the same time , then go for the 13.5 or 12.2 inch Tablets ... smaller is better for reading.

If you dont need windows APPS then go for Ipad pro 2020 11 inch Model for reading.

If you want ART and 3D design and photo editing using pen , nothing can match a 15 inch Tablet.

Reactions: Ardi488

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I was tempted by the SB but ultimately decided to get an XPS and iPadPro (my first Apple device in 15 years). While it seems nice to have an ultimate do-it-all device there are a number of downsides:

• U series processors that undermine SB's workstation capabilities
  • Pen support I found laggy and inaccurate compared to Wacom or iPad.
  • 3k is alot of money to put into something that can't be user-serviced
  • 15 inches, when I tried it out at Best Buy, really was quite big for a tablet form factor. I felt overwhelmed with it.

I'd rather have two devices that are purpose-built for their jobs than one that makes a lot of compromises. I hope more companies will experiment with this form factor in the future, because with a little bit more engineering they could nail the design and create a new class of device. The HP Z Book x2 is another example. For art, I believe it's better than the SB. Unfortunately, HP also went with a U series proc (and a diminutive MX GPU on top of that) so it suffers from compromises too, not to mention horrendous battery life.