News Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 Dumps AMD, Goes All in on Intel Evo

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
The reason behind this choice is, I think, because Microsoft LOVES E-cores and not to forget that windows 11 scheduler is built for a hybrid architecture.

I'll give MS the benefit of the doubt and say this is because of Thunderbolt. I don't think USB4 is in Ryzen mobile yet and won't be for a while still, so I'd imagine having TB3/4 is better and it is a selling point for laptops. While USB-C is neat, I still think TB is better, slightly, and better integrated in an all-Intel ecosystem.

Other than that, I'd say at that price point and power level Intel should be similarly matched to AMD for what these are targeted for, so Intel may have been either cheaper, a better deal in bulk, or easier to integrate in their overall design. Or at least, I hope that was the case.

I would still prefer an AMD APU in this segment, personally, but I can't deny TB does make a difference for these machines.

EDIT: I was corrected and current Ry6K mobile does support it, with an asterisk: https://www.pcworld.com/article/703578/usb4-support-amd-ryzen-6000-laptop.html

Regards.

Last edited:
In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if this was more tied to CPU availability than Microsoft not being interested in 6xxx AMD CPUs. If Microsoft can backup the battery life claims these would be the best ADL laptops by far of any I've seen myself.

Reactions: cyrusfox

Giroro

Splendid
It's a shame the RAM/storage specs are lifted from either a 4 year old entry-level Mac mini, or a phone.
Windows 11 is way too bloated and ugly to pay the Apple tax for such low specs.

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
So, loss of efficiency for the Surface, and going back to dual-core garbage plus some efficiency cores to mislead consumers. I'll make sure to tell people not to buy these pieces of garbage for this generation.

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
OH! Colour me surprised then.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/703578/usb4-support-amd-ryzen-6000-laptop.html

You're right and it'll depend on the vendor to "wire" it.

Now I'm wondering what Intel had over AMD for this one, but I still think TB on its own is quite important, unfortunately.

Regards.
Intel gave Thunderbolt 3.0 to the USB consortium a few years ago, and it is now a part of the USB 4 spec. Nothing special required from Intel at this point. USB 4 is NOT Thunderbolt 4.

TRENDING THREADS