Microsoft Surface Sales May Exceed 1 Million in Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Man, it's like every random article that doesn't say much is by Zak. It's like Wolfgang's alias or something. I don't even click on half the articles that i think are written by him. Why did i come here? Because i was bored and knew this was a Zak article :p

Must return to Indar now ;)

[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... in other Tom's news iPad Expected to Ship 26 Million Units This Quarter....http://www.tomshardware.com/news/i [...] 19548.html[/citation]
Shipping and selling are different things...

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Shipping and selling are different things...[/citation]
Until now, all the iPads Apple has shipped were eventually sold as well
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Yet according to Business Insider:MS cuts its Surface orders in half....Windows Phone 8 is doing badly... nobody cares...MS is in trouble...[/citation]
Their sales volumes look indeed anecdotic compared to the Galaxy S3 / Note and iPhone figures, but if you look back at where they come from, it's a big achievement: they managed to reverse the trend and escape from the negative spiral they were caught in. I guess we will only be able to judge over a longer period of time...
Anyway, I don't think the surface RT has a bright future, and the PRO version which looks appealing from a functional perspective will have to face heavy concurrence from other manufacturers of Windows 8 devices. Still not a big problem as Microsoft isn't probably looking for the hardware sales revenue: their focus is to restore their OS market share and the surface devices are here to cover their back if the OEMs fail to produce the products the market demands. Their efforts will probably pay ... but later than sooner.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Originally Microsoft said they would sell 4 million units by 2012, then revised to 2 million now we're getting outside estimates of 1.3 million.

Once the Surface was officially announced with its price I knew it was going to be a huge disaster (flop) for Microsoft. They cannot compete with Android and Apple at their price point. They had to deeply subsidize the cost.

This reminds me of RIM and their Playbook. One day one of their announcement I told all my colleagues it was going to crash and burn and it did exactly that. Way overpriced for a new player in the space. Microsoft just repeated it.

This is why the Entertainment and Devices Division over the past decade has an operating income of
-$3.55 Billion (not adjusted for inflation).

Good job Microsoft! You pissed off your laptop and desktop base with Windows 8 to push very little units for Windows 8 Phones and Surface.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Give me a 7" Tablet with a x86 CPU running x86 Windows 8, bundled with a docking station that I can connect to a multi-monitor setup, keyboard, mouse and surround sound.

Only with a setup like this, will we see a benefit of having the Metro UI and Desktop UI in one operating system.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Give me a 7" Tablet with a x86 CPU running x86 Windows 8, bundled with a docking station that I can connect to a multi-monitor setup, keyboard, mouse and surround sound.Only with a setup like this, will we see a benefit of having the Metro UI and Desktop UI in one operating system.[/citation]
why would you buy an overpriced 7" micro-tablet in order to plug it into a keyboard mouse multi-monitor setup? ...or is this supposed to be Star Trek in 2013?

[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Give me a 7" Tablet with a x86 CPU running x86 Windows 8, bundled with a docking station that I can connect to a multi-monitor setup, keyboard, mouse and surround sound.Only with a setup like this, will we see a benefit of having the Metro UI and Desktop UI in one operating system.[/citation]
yes! This is what I want too!

Give me something portable that can do some things on the go, but can also be a power house when I need it to be!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]leandrodafontoura[/nom]Apple ship and SELLS 1 million per day[/citation]

Not quite, but in the final 3 months of 2012, they will over 1/4 million per day.

Surface RT and Pro were DOA with their prices.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

becuase x86 has to much legacy and is kind of a power hog, intel is supposedly putting out a 10-13 watt ivy bridge which will be awesome but if they released a tablet with x86 now it'd need to have a battery like a current laptop battey size or bigger and have the life of on so it'd be crucified in review because its big heavy 2000+ mah battery would only last a few hours of use. i hope hte new efficient ivybridge chips combined with low power gpu can make an x86 tablet possible though with a battery life of at least 4-5 hours

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Yet according to Business Insider:MS cuts its Surface orders in half....Windows Phone 8 is doing badly... nobody cares...MS is in trouble...[/citation]
How long did it take any of the Android tablets to take hold? It took many many tries to even break 500k sales over a year period. This is actually a pretty strong start.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
They were stupid to price it so high. They could've knock $100 off and still get a decent profit. It's not a completely terrible tablet by any means because it does have its advantages and disadvantages (which I think could be overcome with Surface 2). The Surface received favorable reviews (getting scores between 7 to 8.5 out of 10) and the main complaints were a small app ecosystem, sluggish performance here and there, and a basic display. I believe that the Surface 2 will be a wayyy better device (if they don't change their mind about making it) if they manage to knock down the issues the current Surface has. By the time a Surface 2 comes around, W8 RT could be more optimized, have a better display and specs so performance isn't as sluggish. I hope MS learns the lesson of pricing.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Glad to see Metro is failing everywhere. Microsoft should keep the mobile and desktop OSes separate but compatible, instead of forcing the same UI on everybody.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I think the Surface's biggest problem was limited availability/exposure. Only available at Microsoft stores (of which there are rather few) and on the online Microsoft store? This is a device that has to have a hands-on to really impress, not a commercial of people dancing around and "clicking" it into the touch cover. They need to get these into Best Buys and other retail outlets.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who was really interested, but just decided to skip it and wait until the 2nd gen devices are out. The Tegra 3 SoC is unimpressive, in addition to the "meh" resolution. If the "leaked" 2nd gen specs turn out to be accurate, I'm almost certainly going to pick up the 2nd gen Surface Pro.

[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]becuase x86 has to much legacy and is kind of a power hog, intel is supposedly putting out a 10-13 watt ivy bridge which will be awesome but if they released a tablet with x86 now it'd need to have a battery like a current laptop battey size or bigger and have the life of on so it'd be crucified in review because its big heavy 2000+ mah battery would only last a few hours of use. i hope hte new efficient ivybridge chips combined with low power gpu can make an x86 tablet possible though with a battery life of at least 4-5 hours[/citation]
There are some very low powered Atom processors now that may work out.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]There are some very low powered Atom processors now that may work out.[/citation]

i agree there are some nice atoms they just don't have alot of power, i hear alot of people saying x86 like it will run evrything well. an x86 processor that can't run more than the operating system and apps on par with what you find on android or ios is not worth it to me, i would love to see the new ivy bridge's at 10-13w x86 making for low power chips that can actually run real programs, like autocad on a tablet or some games even at lower settings, maybe able to edit photo's in photoshop on location via popping memory card from camera and into tablet, real programs.. not "apps"

G

Ha! The Surface, will never deface my real Desktop, or counter top, or coffee table! and stay the HELL of my computer's desktop You Adware/Crapware pushing pile of PooP UI, M$ Windoze 8 Maxi-Sucks! I hope that they retire Ballmer to the Glue Factory, where hell be Much better utilized!

Status
Not open for further replies.