Microsoft Takes on Gmail with New Outlook.com Webmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Tried it.
It's meh...

I think they stripped TOO much out of it LOL.

The blue and white scheme makes it seem like its just empty... sad... like you want to tell it a joke to cheer it up, or give it a back rub or something....

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I know I'm just going to hear a bunch of Microsoft hate from everyone on this site, but I actually think that the new Outlook.com looks like a good product. It has a good UI and no picture ads. And if Microsoft delivers on its promise to cut back on spam, then the service could be a winner. It looks like something that could actually compete with Gmail and looks eons better than Yahoo! Mail. Time will tell if Microsoft markets the service and keeps releasing useful features for it or if they let it die in the dirt.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
This is awesome! I love the layout :) Clean and simple and to kawininjazx, that is an excellent question but its not a client so im going to assume no unless you buy Outlook outright. Been thinking of merging all my emails into one and this would be a great time to do it.

Well I just created a new account to match my: Hotmail, MSN & Live accounts. It has the look of new Office 2013 (365) which I'm still up in the air over.

In our office we're still only using Office 2007, I found no good reason to upgrade and I'm wondering if I'll feel the same with Office 2013. Simple is good from an eye candy point of view but often productivity can suffer if you're constantly hunting around in menus.

Windows 8 and Office 2013/365 is going to be a hard move to those who are entrenched in the prior UI's.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm using Windows Live Mail, and I have 2 Hotmail email accounts.
Does this mean that they are going to change to "Outlook" accounts, or will Hotmail stay?

If so, can I still use Windows Live Mail?
I hate to go to Hotmail.com and I know I wouldn't like to go to this Outlook.com either...
specially with all this add ons, I like my email to be simple.

Just that, email.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]This is a web mail service. It is not an outlook type program.[/citation]

Web or not - Still no reason why it should not be possible if they wanted to add import tools in order to make migration easier and attract more customers. The security concerns when importing user uploaded data files to a database is another matter!

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
get your [name]@outlook.com address before someone else does.

...that said, doubt it'll get much use unless google spam filtering starts failing. maybe i'll upgrade my (spambox) hotmail account and see how it handles the legions of spam i get daily.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Gmail is the only service with decent spam filtering (at least, it works very well for me), they offer more storage and the labels system to tag the emails (when used correctly) is terribly more efficient than Outlook's old fashion Folders structure. You can archive a mail with different tags to enable very quick and easy retrieval later on). I stopped using hotmail and my provider's webmail about two years ago and since then, I have never looked back.
What MS does now is probably a smart move and definitely an improvement over hotmail, but as often with MS, it's too little too late for many of us !

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Outlook.com is pretty cool. If you click on "Outlook" it will give you the option of People, Skydrive, Calendar. Hit People...much better contact management than Hotmail was!

Regardless of what agreements claim today, I'm still a little concerned that potentially unwelcome changes will be made that will eventually open up all my email (including past messages sent and/or received) to sifting for spamming, advertising, or other potentially dishonest purposes. Toss in that this may expose my friends and other contacts to similar exploitation, and I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

looks good! It seems that it is just hotmail all dressed up in metro/cosmo, but I like the interface. Perhaps the first product with the 'Outlook' name on it that I could find enjoyable. Also, after linking it to my old hotmail acct it seems that it is very easy to switch between the two.

Poking around I also found a bunch of child acct settings.... not sure if it is a new feature, but as a father of a little 1 year old I like this new 'family friendly' approach to technology and user accounts. The kiddo is going to be online sooner than I would like, but at least I will have some amount of control over his acct until he moves up to his own 'grown up' accounts in his teen years.

Since Google (1) reads my Gmail account and
targets me with ads, and (2) claims that IE is slowing down opening or other email operations and spamming me about switching to Chrome, I'll definitely be giving Outlook.com a lookout :p.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think it is a bit redundant, considering there is already live.com that does all of that. Got it linked to my facebook, outlook live, web app for outlook, skype, and my phone.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Signed up my dad with 'his.name'@outlook.com. He's never had a webmail account and only ever used the company email.

Also if you've got 'random.asshole77'@hotmail.com as your primary email it may be time to grow up and get in early. you still get all mail set to your old account stored in a folder and can still send mail from that account.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
If you login with hotmail there is no link back to outlook.com.... They should update skydrive and hotmail to the metro style to match the theme and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.