Microsoft Talks About Fixing Disk Problems in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
I kind of wish the title said, "Microsoft Talks About Removing Metro UI in Windows 8" ...that's where my mind went as soon as I saw the words "Microsoft" and "Windows 8".

Funny how the mind works.

Improved NTFS ..... hmmmm ....... was supposed to be part of Windows 5.0

How about recognizing the existence of SSD's and when both a HD and SSD are detected, after Windows is done installing, launch a wizard for partitioning the HD and putting Program Files and User Files on HD partitions ?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]JackNaylorPE[/nom]Improved NTFS ..... hmmmm ....... was supposed to be part of Windows 5.0How about recognizing the existence of SSD's and when both a HD and SSD are detected, after Windows is done installing, launch a wizard for partitioning the HD and putting Program Files and User Files on HD partitions ?[/citation]
Somehow I don't think the majority of people that will be using Windows 8 with both an SSD and an HDD would appreciate such a wizard. ...that sounds like something geared more towards the enthusiast...and we're just not that big of an audience.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]JackNaylorPE[/nom]Improved NTFS ..... hmmmm ....... was supposed to be part of Windows 5.0How about recognizing the existence of SSD's and when both a HD and SSD are detected, after Windows is done installing, launch a wizard for partitioning the HD and putting Program Files and User Files on HD partitions ?[/citation]

MKLink with the /J switch is your friend.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Does anyone remember WinFS? This was suppose to be the end-all-be-all file system... right up until it got cancelled by Microsoft. Glad to see MS is still working to improve the filesystem, which needs some much needed love.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Just splitting the drive into multiple partitions can greatly limit damage since corruption rarely crosses partition boundaries. When does affect multiple partitions, it's probably something severe enough that chkdsk isn't going to fix (like a head crash).

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Just splitting the drive into multiple partitions can greatly limit damage since corruption rarely crosses partition boundaries. When does affect multiple partitions, it's probably something severe enough that chkdsk isn't going to fix (like a head crash).[/citation]
I think having the ability to do this would be good. ...but I think it'd be better received as a command-line utility, like...oh...I don't know...something along the lines of:

"OSpart /v /t /-5"

G

why they are not using Ext4 i heard that its the one of the best file system

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

You realize Windows 5.0 was Windows 2000 right? Win2k did come with the listed FS improvements, debuting NTFS 3.0 with "disk quotas, encryption, sparse files, reparse points, update sequence number (USN) journaling, the $Extend folder and its files, and reorganized security descriptors so that multiple files using the same security setting can share the same descriptor" (from Wikipedia). The Windows 8 defragmenter can TRIM SSDs while defragmenting hard drives which I find pretty cool.

jnemesh

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Now...if they could only "fix" the problem with the UI! Get rid of Metro and I MIGHT consider upgrading...as it stands now, I will either stick with Windows 7 or just stick a fork in it and move to Ubuntu! Good job MS! You FINALLY convinced me to abandon your platform!

sivaseemakurthi

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Just had hands on experience on Windows8 in my company Lab and I can confidently say that it sucks. MS is doing a big mistake with Metro UI. They should have restricted it to phones and tablets.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Digging the UI here. Do not think of metro as the new desktop. It's not. It's the new start menu. The desktop is exactly the same as it was in Windows 7...it's just missing the start button obviously (since that's metro now)

I'm already starting to get pretty fast with it on the laptop. Looking forward to running it on one of my power machines. It apparently does multimon very well with taskbar for each monitor and other such things.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]Digging the UI here. Do not think of metro as the new desktop. It's not. It's the new start menu. The desktop is exactly the same as it was in Windows 7...it's just missing the start button obviously (since that's metro now)[/citation]

Thank you, finally someone gets it. Metro is NOT the new desktop, it is the new start menu, a full-screen one at that. Easy enough to click on the link in Metro (you will have it "Pinned to Start" if you are smart) and get to the actual desktop.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Just splitting the drive into multiple partitions can greatly limit damage since corruption rarely crosses partition boundaries. When does affect multiple partitions, it's probably something severe enough that chkdsk isn't going to fix (like a head crash).[/citation]

True, however most people don't want to 'juggle' multiple partitions with multiple drive letters. They want ONE partition with ONE drive letter.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Somehow I don't think the majority of people that will be using Windows 8 with both an SSD and an HDD would appreciate such a wizard. ...that sounds like something geared more towards the enthusiast...and we're just not that big of an audience.[/citation]

Enthusiasts are a big enough group to get hardware such as some graphics cards, high end motherboards, and some high end processors made just because we buy them, in addition to software packages designed for us to use, such as overclocking utilities.

[citation][nom]jnemesh[/nom]Now...if they could only "fix" the problem with the UI! Get rid of Metro and I MIGHT consider upgrading...as it stands now, I will either stick with Windows 7 or just stick a fork in it and move to Ubuntu! Good job MS! You FINALLY convinced me to abandon your platform![/citation]

You could abandon Windows, or you could just do a two minute work around instead of over-reacting. Metro is not difficult to work-around at all.

theoneknownasnalyd

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[quote Metro was not difficult to work-around at all.[/quote]

There, fixed it! M$ removed the ability to change the Metro interface Registry Key. There is no way to completely disable Metro and go back to the Windows 7/Vista start menu. Stardock has created a Metro themed Start Menu, however that doesn't do enough to remove the secondary interface. While Metro is a new Start Menu, there are Metro apps, some of which do not have a Classic interface counterpart. To jnemesh: embrace the Penguin (Linux), you won't regret it (at least until you try to game, but that'll change soon if Valve succeeds in porting Steam and the Source Engine)!

Metro is STILL easy to work around, just not in the same ways. Download Classic Shell or ViStart with ViOrb. There are also many other programs that can do the trick in varying ways. There are so many other such programs that it's ridiculous to see comments from people saying that they'll switch away from Windows rather than go to 8 just because of Metro. They are ignorant, lazy, or both.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Call me when Microsoft fixes Metro... by allowing PC users to disable it completely.[/citation]
... or give the option to choose...

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
You all remind me of Windows XP users clammoring to find classic mode...or Windows 95 users choosing the progman option.

MS has quite a few human behavior researchers in their $9billion/year labs and they test with all manner of users. Give it a try, go with the vision, you might find you're actually more productive.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]You all remind me of Windows XP users clammoring to find classic mode...or Windows 95 users choosing the progman option.MS has quite a few human behavior researchers in their $9billion/year labs and they test with all manner of users. Give it a try, go with the vision, you might find you're actually more productive.[/citation]

Yup, and remember that Microsoft has said there will be a little tutorial that shows new users the hot corners. I'd agree that if somebody walked up to Win8 at the desktop, they'd probably be clueless, but the tutorial will go a long way toward fixing that. While I think Win8's UI still needs refinement, I like the concept of having live data readily accessible. We've seen that on Android tablets for a while and I'm glad to see it coming to the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.