Microsoft Talks More About Next Version of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Windows 8 with Classic Shell is a great OS for people who are used to XP and 7, just give the user the OPTION to turn the start menu back on. Why is that so hard? If you know your way around, 8.1 is fine, but most people can barely use a PC, don't make it harder on them.

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
"The second feature we're thinking about is enabling modern apps to run windowed on the desktop versus only running in the immersive full-screen mode,"

So, the same ability that we always had when running any other standard applications. Bravo Microsoft team. Do you even know that your OS is called "Windows"? Hence opening things in windows, dragging them around, etc?

Come on...

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
This is the right move - making Windows actually be Windows again. I do wonder how this will work on tablets and all in ones, though - today, you swipe to the side, and your next open app slides in, with all Desktop apps showing on the same swipe. It sounds to me like whether or not you can swipe to the Modern app will depend on the context you open it in, which is a bit clunky... Or the implementation will be different based on system type, which will be inconsistent. Likewise, "Modern" apps are allowed retain some control even when your PC is sleeping. An example of this is the "Music" app which allows you to play music while other parts of your machine sleep (screen). Wonder how this will work.

Rambler101

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
"The second feature we're thinking about is enabling modern apps to run windowed on the desktop versus only running in the immersive full-screen mode,"

So, the same ability that we always had when running any other standard applications. Bravo Microsoft team. Do you even know that your OS is called "Windows"? Hence opening things in windows, dragging them around, etc?

Come on...

Hahahaha! Dam dude you hit that point dead on! I was reading that the same way, 15 years to perfect "windows" and "start menu"... But Im sure it will be worth the $150 bucks with those new features and probably a DirectX version bump :/

Tal Greywolf

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Come on...
I've had that ability since I picked up Windows 8... it's called MetroMix from Stardock, and it does the job fairly well.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
They should just put all the modern apps into trashbin and start afresh. Modular scaleable interface elements are the way to go. It's plain ridiculous if they continue to call all the normal applications as "legacy apps" - it has been insanely obtrusive. There's something wrong in their heads if they don't realize that their "Modern" was a complete failure.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I hope they don't make the start screen less accessible. By comparison the start menu is like the internet without broadband imo. I also like how they brought together similarities with handling different devices like my daughter's 8" tablet which is a pain to work via desktop. I for one don't want to learn a new os for every device. If they can keep more users under one os, then there will be greater drive for content under that os. And metro looks modern, unlike all of those vista aero hybrids out there running widgets, oops I mean apps. I hope they make it more like windows 8 than windows 8.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Modern UI style applications are actually easier to develop for and run faster than the traditional Win32 application. Like I said in a previous topic on Windows 9, Microsoft will develop Modern style applications to work better in multi-tasking than they currently do in Windows 8, and possibly get rid of legacy support in Windows 9 or 10.
If that happens, I honestly don't know why many users would still cling to Windows 7 aside from legacy support. Easier development environment, easier user experience, easier UI experience, easier hardware management, equivalent multi-tasking, and better system utilization.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
All Windows 9 needs is customization. Get the default behavior however you like Microsoft, but let me customize how I use my computer. Tiles on the desktop? Yes please. A start screen that isn't only for software? Yes please, the task bar and title bar of every window (including fullscreen windows aka metro apps)? Yes please. No more purple? Yes please!

TheMagic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Am I the only one that likes 8.1?
I used W7 for 5 or 6 years and just recently built a new computer. I had an OEM version of W7 so I went ahead and put the 8.1 trial on this computer. I don't have a touch screen but I like the new "button" start menu -- IMO it's like having a second desktop menu. I keep all my games and system tweaking programs as small icons, stuff like uTorrent and iTunes as large icons so they're easy to click.... Also put shortcuts to directories I use often.

Overall it feels faster and cleaner than W7, while also catering more to the power user (computer knowledgeable user) than W7 did.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Or better yet start a new trend.
Programs ► Progs
Software ► Softy

If you look at Windows APIs...
Audio ► XAudio
Input ► XInput
Math ► XMath

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Am I the only one that likes 8.1?
I used W7 for 5 or 6 years and just recently built a new computer. I had an OEM version of W7 so I went ahead and put the 8.1 trial on this computer. I don't have a touch screen but I like the new "button" start menu -- IMO it's like having a second desktop menu. I keep all my games and system tweaking programs as small icons, stuff like uTorrent and iTunes as large icons so they're easy to click.... Also put shortcuts to directories I use often.

Overall it feels faster and cleaner than W7, while also catering more to the power user (computer knowledgeable user) than W7 did.

Aside from the panic of seeing something new, Win 8.1+ seems to be a pretty solid system. seriously, a quick DL from IOBit brings you the desktop everyone's used to, who cares if MS couldn't do it themselves, the options still available. Especially for how cheap the OS was for so long.

Although I was excited to hear about the new file system they are using, it doesn't seem like it made that big of a difference. I'd love to hear otherwise though.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"Windows will boot to the desktop when there is no touchscreen connected and a keyboard and mouse is detected. If the customer has a touch screen or tablet, then Windows will boot to the Start Screen"
Please give me an option to disable this. as i have a Wacom Cintiq.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Wow!! Microsoft actually hired a marketing guy with a last name called "Prophet"!!

Prophet said.... Windows 9 should be good...
Prophet said.... All you believer should buy new Windows again....
Prophet said.... The church of Microsoft will become strong again...

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'd also like for Microsoft to go back to saying "applications" or "programs", instead of "apps". It's just lame.
Yeah! You should straighten out Google and Apple too while you're at it.
"Windows will boot to the desktop when there is no touchscreen connected and a keyboard and mouse is detected. If the customer has a touch screen or tablet, then Windows will boot to the Start Screen"
Please give me an option to disable this. as i have a Wacom Cintiq.
You're a little behind on the news, huh? You can set it to manually do whatever you want. You can do that right now in Windows 8.1. This is just an improved default behavior that works well for most users out of the box - everyone else will either change a setting to suit their needs or whine about it online.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
this is the same thing the windows 8.1 with non touch screens booting straight into the desktop by default and the fact that windows 9 won't disable metro by default for non touch screen users, just shows me that Microsoft hasn't changed their ways about metro at all on non touch screen in pc's. So what exactly are they hard at work doing with Windows 9, when it looks to be Windows 8.x with a start menu and a way to use windows apps on the desktop, stuff that you can already do with stardock products.

Status
Not open for further replies.