Microsoft Talks Windows 7 Logo Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the advantages that PC users always tout over Linux and Mac users is the compatibility of the Windows platform.
Last time I checked, Linux users are PC users (unless of course they run SPARC,etc).

At any rate, if this gets more people to go with x64 OS I'm all years. 32bit must die now. People still running on 32bit CPUs should upgrade. There is no point in slowing down change to meet their needs. Imo, Win 7 should have been just an x64 OS. Hope win 8 will be x64 only.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Seems like compatable with windows 7 would be put on a pc that comes with a different o/s (such as vista or xp) and Windows 7 means that it comes with windows 7. I am running Win7 on a Pentium 4 right now flawlessly, I don't see that there will be any problems using either of these stickers on current systems that are sold in stores right now.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I think the logo will be very helpful to average consumers. (As long as the products are actually compatible.)

I disagree with the statement that Mac users have problems finding compatible products though. I think hardware and software companies building goods for Mac use have always clearly labeled them as such. Actually, it's the exact opposite, savvy Macintosh owners can finds lots of things not made for Mac that will work fine on it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
These stickers are a marketing ploy and nothing more! How many "compatible with" stickers have I seen only to find the computer/laptop crash, die, ignite, explode - ok I'm being dramatic, but does anyone really trust these stickers?

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Well this logo programs were usually led by Microsoft to make money. This time, they insist at least on one thing which will help customers (us) in future - force developers/hardware manufacturers to stop ignore 64 bits.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mcvf[/nom]Well this logo programs were usually led by Microsoft to make money. This time, they insist at least on one thing which will help customers (us) in future - force developers/hardware manufacturers to stop ignore 64 bits.[/citation]
Yay! Enough software incombatible with 64bit please. =D
[citation][nom]buwish[/nom]I believe that MS stated that Win 7 would be the last OS to be manufactured in 32-bit.[/citation]
Yay!
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Seems like compatable with windows 7 would be put on a pc that comes with a different o/s (such as vista or xp) and Windows 7 means that it comes with windows 7. I am running Win7 on a Pentium 4 right now flawlessly, I don't see that there will be any problems using either of these stickers on current systems that are sold in stores right now.[/citation]
This is partly because of horrid initial combatibility issues with Vista. Yeah, Win7 is awesome, and it'll work on damn near anything (I have a old ~150MHz pentium MMX, 2GB HDD, 48MB RAM noteboke, think it's worth a try?).

The windows compatability sticker has been around for quite some time. Overall, yes I would say that the programs work more often than not. However since this is still just a logo there is no assurance that some foreign company selling cheap crap isn't faking compatability.

It will be interesting to have a 64 bit mode that actually works. Does anyone know if there is a way to get old 32 bit applications running if you go 64? If not, I suppose I will have to dual boot like I do now.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
For those who know a little bit about the history of the "Windows" world, you already know that this is a good thing and it's because of movements like this that we have standards on motherboards, ATX style case, type of power supplies. Everything the PC is today is because of Microsoft and Intel (and a handfull of others). All the compatibility between all the hardware is owed to this.

I'm thankful for it.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm glad this has to be tested with 64-bit windows. Companies like Netgear piss me off. They claim compatibility with Win XP and Vista, but don't offer 64-bit drivers. Like hell if I'll ever buy Netgear again.

At least with the Win7 logo, I'll know I can get 64-bit drivers too. Why stick with 32-bit? That's old technology.

platemoon

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I have being using windows vista 64 bit, since the day it came available, and programs in 32bits running in a 64bits perform just as is they used to perform in a 32bits operating system. As for Netgear they offer 64bit driver, but as most companies, only for their newest or more expensive hardware. I had a Netgear N Range Max blah blah blah wireless and they provided the driver (online) because the CD didn't work for my Vista Ultimate 64 bits. Now I am using a Dlink N PCI Express card, and is working alright with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits build 7100, incredible stable. I transferred a file of 1.3GB to my friend over the messenger (yes over the Microsoft messenger) without a drop. I wasn't expecting that, but wanted to try, and it worked!!! The Netgear used to drop me once in a while. That product (Dlink DWA-556 Xtreme N) I guess doesn't have the logo since is old hardware but after that I can print the logo and attach it myself LOL. I can't say the same to Netgear that shouldn't even bother to put a Windows XP logo on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS