News Microsoft tests a Windows 11 reinstallation method via Windows Update - faster than the current 'in-place upgrade' option

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Yet Microsoft does not create Restore Points automatically or prompt you to create a recovery drive. It will try to sell you Microsoft 365 and OneDrive though.

Reactions: Rabohinf

techfreak

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I don't see how is this useful cuz if Windows is corrupted or having issues.
Usually is have to wipe the drive than install a fresh copy of Windows.
In place Windows repair won't help, what if the storage device have issues?

Or worse partition table have problem like lots of corrupted files?
Than the Update/repair won't go through.
PS one thing I hope Microsoft should look into is to remove "Fast startup."
which is known to cause issues since the PC doesn't shutdown.

"Fast startup" has been there since Windows 8 era and is only helpful for
those who use slower disk drive like HDD.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Yet Microsoft does not create Restore Points automatically or prompt you to create a recovery drive. It will try to sell you Microsoft 365 and OneDrive though.
The bloatware can be removed. What's worse is buying a pre-built. All sorts of crapware installed by the vendor.
First thing to do is lose the paying anti-viirus services like Norton. Windows defender is free and has become a great bug fighter.

Reactions: ThatMouse

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
MS doesn't try to sell you OneDrive, they force it upon it's users and virtually all just allow it on the computer especially the prebuilt ones where OneDrive is integrated with your Desktop and other personal folders. Once it's this way Your Desktop for example is in the OneDrive directory which makes it darn near impossible to uninstall.

Reactions: ThatMouse

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
The bloatware can be removed. What's worse is buying a pre-built. All sorts of crapware installed by the vendor.
First thing to do is lose the paying anti-viirus services like Norton. Windows defender is free and has become a great bug fighter.
I haven't seen Norton included in a long time. Now it's McAfee. The bloatware often is integrated within Windows itself and this goes for NVIDIA non-essential software and OEM software.

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I don't see how is this useful cuz if Windows is corrupted or having issues.
Usually is have to wipe the drive than install a fresh copy of Windows.
In place Windows repair won't help, what if the storage device have issues?

Or worse partition table have problem like lots of corrupted files?
Than the Update/repair won't go through.
PS one thing I hope Microsoft should look into is to remove "Fast startup."
which is known to cause issues since the PC doesn't shutdown.

"Fast startup" has been there since Windows 8 era and is only helpful for
those who use slower disk drive like HDD.
I have never had partition table issues before until upgrading to Windows 11. And I have been using Windows since the 3.11 days. Third party partition software should be illegal, at least with Windows 11. The clock is ticking for me whether I will wait for W12 or downgrade to Windows 10 (wipe my drives and partitions — that's going to be a challenge) and format them like brand new drives.

And yeah, "Fast Startup" is a major problem and disabling it can be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.