Microsoft to Grant Windows 8 System Builder License to Home-Built PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I just had a laugh!
I have NEVER bought a packaged OS, and will never do.
I have bought OEM since Windows 95, there is no point on getting a box that you will throw away anyways, not to mention the ridiculous overprice for that card board box.

Is also a joke that M$ who has always sold OEM thru many online retailers that it has taken them all this time to "acknowledge" this fact.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]I don't get it, there was always OEM and retail editions.[/citation]
if Im not mistaken this allows you to use an OEM liscense from a retail pc on youre homebuilt machine, thus saving you ALOT of money. before, you had to buy a new liscense because OEM liscenses are tied to the original mobo.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]if Im not mistaken this allows you to use an OEM liscense from a retail pc on youre homebuilt machine, thus saving you ALOT of money. before, you had to buy a new liscense because OEM liscenses are tied to the original mobo.[/citation]

Again ... WTF!
Most people that read this site already have built their own systems for years.
guess which version most people use?
OEM of course.

akopp21

Jul 21, 2010

According to the license on previous versions of Windows, you weren't legally allowed to use that OEM copy on a computer you built for yourself. You were only supposed to use OEM if you were selling the computer to someone else.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I think the point is that OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions of Windows (or Windows License) were "Legally" meant to be used only by companies that build computers and sell them. Now they are officially saying in the License Agreement that it is OK for us "Home-Builders" to use the OEM license.. something we have been doing all along anyway and they had been turning a blind eye to all along.. ;-)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
oh well, my mistake then. I never really knew that since all the pcs Ive built for myself and for others was with college student deals that got me Win7 for like $30. never had need to buy a retail copy in any store.

G

And nobody that I know has ever respected that bit of the EULA, so honestly, this is pretty moot. I'd like to see Microsoft even try to come after me, and the hundreds of thousands of people who, like me, build comps with OEM windows. It would be pretty comical.
Who in their right mind would buy a retail version, if they know how to assemble a PC?

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The reason people buy retail for their home built machines is they know they will be upgrading them. As soon as you swap out for a new motherboard, an OEM license key is no longer valid where the retail key can be transferred to different computers.

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I honestly don't see anything to bash MS about here...[/citation]

Don't worry some knucklehead will try to troll and bash. And at least MS is trying to do something right for once, though, for us home builders. Unless you have a MSDN license, but that is not economical.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Just an acknowledgement and rubber stamping of what already goes on, nothing too much to get excited about. It will still be an OEM licence and I very much doubt that they'll be altering it so that you can transfer it to a new build. OEM is great if you are saving a fair bit and know that the system won't have motherboard upgrades and I've used it once or twice. Depends on what the pricing is of course, if it is something like $100 well they may as well call it something different as I'd imagine most OEMs would be paying more like a fraction of that.

As an upgrade from XP the opening fire sale is pretty much a no brainer, much like the opening offer on 7. Full pricing after the offer is where it's at and if they are hoping for $200 a pop, well it might be a bit of a tougher sell.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Linux has no such complicated or vast EULAs. The costs $0.

Doesn't run Windows software natively, but that hey - who plays games on PCs anyway (compared to consoles)

paladiin

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
All the copies that I have gotten from the Egg have been OEM and they lasted me across seven builds so far. Every time I change out parts I just give Microsoft customer support a call and verify that the current computer is the only one running that copy of 7. That includes changing MBs, GFX cards, HDs and CPUs. Haven't had any problems so no reason to bash as far as I know...

paladiin

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
On a side note I have also used the keys from my laptops to put windows on desktops. Again, one quick call and I was good to go. I didn't even know that you weren't supposed to transfer keys to new systems but MS has never given me any flak about it...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Linux has no such complicated or vast EULAs.[/citation]

Or "complicated" software support, or a large user base in comparison...

if i'm not mistaken, the only real difference between the fancy retail box package and the oem package is that retail comes with support from microsoft. since this support comes from you know where, there really is only one choice: the oem version.

as far as the oem version being for retail companies only: this rule was never really enforced. i think this was just some corporate bureaucracy to cover their own rear. if ms truly wanted to enforce this then they would have.

while true that the oem copies of windows are tied to the motherboard you can transfe this license to another computer if you claim your motherboard got fried and you had to replace it. i've done it in the past (for windows xp) without issues. as long as you only use it on one pc then microsoft could really care less.

everyone can stop the ms bashing. if anything this is a concession to home builders.

ram1009

Distinguished
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I just had a laugh!I have NEVER bought a packaged OS, and will never do.I have bought OEM since Windows 95, there is no point on getting a box that you will throw away anyways, not to mention the ridiculous overprice for that card board box.Is also a joke that M$ who has always sold OEM thru many online retailers that it has taken them all this time to "acknowledge" this fact.[/citation]

Has it occurred to you that it's the disk rather than the box that you are purchasing? Personally, I will always buy a disk instead of a download if offered the option even if it's a few dollars more which it frequently isn't. This is especially true with an OS. What do you do if you need to re-format your HDD and don't have a disk?

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Linux has no such complicated or vast EULAs. The costs $0.Doesn't run Windows software natively, but that hey - who plays games on PCs anyway (compared to consoles)[/citation]

They see me trollin'

Seriously that bit about PC gaming is just a baited hook.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]womble[/nom]Just an acknowledgement and rubber stamping of what already goes on, nothing too much to get excited about. It will still be an OEM licence and I very much doubt that they'll be altering it so that you can transfer it to a new build. OEM is great if you are saving a fair bit and know that the system won't have motherboard upgrades and I've used it once or twice. Depends on what the pricing is of course, if it is something like $100 well they may as well call it something different as I'd imagine most OEMs would be paying more like a fraction of that.As an upgrade from XP the opening fire sale is pretty much a no brainer, much like the opening offer on 7. Full pricing after the offer is where it's at and if they are hoping for $200 a pop, well it might be a bit of a tougher sell.[/citation]

Not true, I have use it while upgrading the motherboard (and all main components) only that of course some of this times I have to cal M$ to get a new number and presto. (after answering all their stupid questions). Most people that built their own systems at some point they either add new components or change the whole thing for whatever reason, M$ is aware of that and they can't possibly tell anyone not to upgrade their systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS