News Microsoft to kill Windows Control Panel in favor of Settings app

Dr3ams

Respectable
Sep 29, 2021
I've been using the God Mode for a while. All Windows settings alphabetically categorized in one folder.

If you don't have it, here's how to get it:
1. right click on the desktop and select "new folder".
2. rename folder to GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

That's it.

There's around 200 settings in the folder to use. Also, if you click "view" in the folder and then "tiles", the icons will show up similar to the way they are in the Control Panel.

Last edited:
Years ago Tom's had a thread that posted a script that you right clicked on the desktop and went to new than shortcut and once you had that on the desktop you named it the script and hit inter.

It made a short cut to a master control panel page that lists every nook and cranny of anything you could ever imagine and things you never knew you had control over. After you were done making the shortcut is read as God mode.

I made that God mode back in Windows XP days and have it on all my thumb drives and It just keeps working on every new version Windows puts out. Keep in mind must have been 15-20 years ago if the instructions are still floating out there or if googling it comes up.

IDIT: POST ABOVE TYPED FASTER THAN ME. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Reactions: Dr3ams
I still find control panel apps easier to use than settings, which is often slow and clunky and has stuff buried too many levels deep.
correct. that's the biggest problem with the settings menu. it violates the basics of productive software design.

rule no.1, no deeper then 4 levels.

rule no.2, it shouldn't take you more then 3 clicks to find what you're looking for

can't do that with the settings menu currently. the rocks on the MS PR team to call the settings menu "streamlined"