News Microsoft to Release Office 2021 on October 5

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I keep thinking: I use Office 2010 until this day. A single license gives you usable software for life. Why get a subscription, if in the end all you probably need is write a document in Word, make a spreadsheet or a slide presentation? Office 2021 is a safe bet for a very long time. Subscriptions to basic software like this (when single software licenses are available) are a waste.

Apr 1, 2020
The main people these appeal to are home users and students, as the $12.50/month/user cost for Microsoft 365 business users is quite reasonable, and the cost can be put on taxes as a business expense.

For student users though there's Microsoft's office online versions as well as Google's office app versions which are quite fully featured for the majority of users, and the continually saving cloud editions which can be accessed from any device provide a safety net from thieves and crashes.

For home users between Microsoft and Google online versions, there's LibreOffice and OpenOffice, among others.

The real solution to provide meaningful income would be for Microsoft to cut the price of Microsoft 365 Personal to $25/user/year or $100/6 users/year, perhaps even $20/user/year without the 1TB OneDrive storage...

I use Office 2019 myself, but I'd pay $20 a year if it meant being able to use actual Office apps on my tablets and phone instead of having to use Google on them.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I keep thinking: I use Office 2010 until this day. A single license gives you usable software for life. Why get a subscription, if in the end all you probably need is write a document in Word, make a spreadsheet or a slide presentation? Office 2021 is a safe bet for a very long time. Subscriptions to basic software like this (when single software licenses are available) are a waste.

Yeah, I still use Office 2010 too, and frankly it's more than enough for all my use cases. I'm thinking of upgrading soon though, I feel it's way overdue at this point.