News Microsoft To Test 7th Gen Intel, 1st Gen Ryzen on Windows 11

Spectre4444

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Microsoft reconsiders hard and soft limits on Windows 11 hardware requirements due to massive backlash. So they have not tested Windows 11 on other configurations ? really ? Now they are going to test out their new improved OS...they are just testing the waters to see how far they are going to have to walk back their requirements. I am all for increased security in an OS but the implementation / introduction to win 11 makes me think that we are not quite there yet.

I'm hoping to install it to my MCPC which is an Intel i3 4130 (dual core, 3.4GHz) with 16GB DDR3. In any case, I'm sure there will be install hacks/tweaks to force an install almost immediately.

Jun 25, 2021
Just to be prepared since the removal of the tool can be interpreted in several ways... remember to check all your systems released after 28 July 2016 for an option/switch in the BIOS to enable / disable the TPM 2.0. In case of an AMD system is called fTPM, in case of an Intel one PTT. If the system motherboard also has the additional header for the external(discrete) TPM module there will be also be a drop-down menu in the option/switch to select which TPM 2.0 you want to activate (CPU or external(discrete)). They are however completely equivalent so it is useless to rush to buy the external module.

It must be present according to the agreements between Microsoft and the manufacturers and if there isn't in the BIOS, assert your rights NOW

As of July 28, 2016, according to Microsoft document that set the windows 10 minimum hardware requirements, <b>ALL</b> systems launched and sold as compatible with Windows 10 (Windows 10 compatible) after that date <b>MUST</b> have the ability to activate TPM 2.0 in order to declare compatibility with Windows 10.

section 3.7 (page 33)
https://download.microsoft.com/download/c/1/5/c150e1ca-4a55-4a7e-94c5-bfc8c2e785c5/Windows 10 Minimum Hardware Requirements.pdf

Last edited:

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
It's not the same. Vista days everyone had slow HDDs. These days even slowest SDD will make Core2 Duo kind of comfortably usable with Win10.
It's actually quite similar. Back when Vista was released the hardware and especially the drivers were not ready for primetime which caused a lot of issues and frustration for many users. It wasn't until SP2 was released that the OS became serviceable for most. But by that time Microsoft had to release Windows 7 because of all the bad press and feedback Vista had gained. Now Microsoft is trying to make sure the hardware and drivers are ready for primetime.

Reactions: dimar
Jun 25, 2021
what an interesting read the article they published today on the blog:

"Using the principles above, we are confident that devices running on Intel 8th generation processors and AMD Zen 2 as well as Qualcomm 7 and 8 Series will meet our principles around security and reliability and minimum system requirements for Windows 11. As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles."

again what confusion they have or maybe is intentional so pay attention, they are a billion $$ company and they want us to think that they don't know the type/model/generation of CPU's...they have included in their CPU compatibility list the Ryzen from 2nd Gen, not from Zen 2!

CPU
1st gen Ryzen (1000 series): Zen, 14nm—Summit Ridge
2nd gen Ryzen (2000 series): Zen+, 12nm—Pinnacle Ridge
3rd gen Ryzen (3000 series): Zen 2 7nm—Matisse

APU
1st gen Ryzen APU (2000 series): Zen, 14nm—Raven Ridge
2nd gen Ryzen APU (3000 series): Zen+ 12nm—Picasso

So, according to their own words "we will test to identify...AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles", they don't need to test this again, they had already identified that they "meet their principles" because in their Windows 11 CPU compatibility list all that 2xxxX (example 2700X) and 3xxxG (example 3400G with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics) are Zen 1 !!

Be sure, we will probably never see again the tool to test compatibility before the final version... they will run the tests with their "partners" and then will let us know...

I think to have understood what they are thinking of doing now, since they want to get the planned result at any cost but they also understood that people are deeply upset. After so many years you learn to understand their way of acting, also because you've seen it before.
I hope for once that I'm wrong and that instead they want to understand that they are only creating problems and anger to their customers.
Because there is no doubt that those who will request the free upgrade and who will buy the license are their customers. All the others will as always limit themselves to using the usual copy in which these limitations will have been removed, but also almost certainly without an office subscription, without the store, without...any SaaS from them.

By the way, continuing on this absurd cut-off plan they will push even more people to look for every methods to install windows 11 on their PCs anyway, creating even more security problems...

Last edited:
Reactions: flim and salgado18

jpe1701

Honorable
I just can't wait until my younger relatives that I've passed my skylake and Ryzen 1000 stuff to start whining that they can't upgrade so I'm stuck building them newer PCs.

"As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles,"

funny coming from MS who's updates shoudlnt be allwoed to meet any principle.

WIN11 is just gonna make mroe e-waste ;/

Reactions: flim

flim

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Intel lost massive sales after Apple shift their Mac to M1, Intel need M$ to boost sales, it is not about CPU architecture IMHO

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Tip for Microsoft. Test everything from Core 2 Duo SSE 4.1+ support. Don't let good working systems go to trash.

Where I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, I don't think that MS wants to associate their brand new fancy OS with equipment of that age. It may not deserve a spot in the bin, but a system of that age should be looking at light Open Source OS IMO.
I think a move like this is good for the prestige of the brand. I would personally like to see them push it back to Ryzen 1xxx and 7th gen, but for purely selfish reason since I own things in that age group.

TRENDING THREADS