Microsoft Updates Its 25-year-old Logo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mylloc

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I like this logo, but the old logo better. Old logo feels powerful. This logo feels dynamic.

Old logo = bill gates microsoft, new logo = steve ballmers microsoft.

There's a philosophy in designing a company logo

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mylloc[/nom]There's a philosophy in designing a company logo[/citation]
MS has no philosophy in this logo. They just wanted it to match the new Win8 UI that they're forcing on everyone.

Good grief, following news about Microsoft these days is like watching an episode of Intervention...and about as skin-crawlingly painful. I honestly don't mean to be trolling here; it just drives me nuts watching them transition from the company that made Windows 7 to the company that is making Windows 8. The only reason they may not be totally shooting themselves in the foot is because they have so much market share that they might just get away with the crap they're trying to pull. Honestly, that just makes the show all the more depressing.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Seriously, new logo looks like crap. Hate the Win 8 Square UI(tm). (I will sue MS if they try to use the 'Squre UI' term!!! I patent my rights right here!).

jexel

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I find it interesting the comments here. Have you people even USED Windows 8 yet on a desktop? What did they do, make a change and give you something different (the Start menu) and make it different for you to turn off the computer? Awe do you have to learn something new? How dare they give you a different, interactive Start menu that you can tailor to your hearts content, those bastards! Oh wow is that a task bar that operates just as it always has? Yep looks like it. Oh man the windows+d command works? WTF how dare they make it a hot key! Really people? Microsoft is speeding up their development cycles to compete with the likes of Apple and Google AND they are reducing overall costs of upgrades. Next they will slipstream updates and make them less impacting to install, not requiring system wipes to upgrade to the next OS. They will do this with Windows, they will do this with Office (Office 16 will most likely be very soon after the Office 15 release, going away from the 3-5 year product cycle), and they will do this with the rest of their products. This is what Apple and Google does, why is it bad for Microsoft? If change is bad, go ahead and go into open source land. This way you can build your environment the way YOU want instead of the way someone thinks you'll use it.

My two cents.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jexel[/nom]I find it interesting the comments here. Have you people even USED Windows 8 yet on a desktop? What did they do, make a change and give you something different (the Start menu) and make it different for you to turn off the computer? Awe do you have to learn something new? How dare they give you a different, interactive Start menu that you can tailor to your hearts content, those bastards! Oh wow is that a task bar that operates just as it always has? Yep looks like it. Oh man the windows+d command works? WTF how dare they make it a hot key! Really people? Microsoft is speeding up their development cycles to compete with the likes of Apple and Google AND they are reducing overall costs of upgrades. Next they will slipstream updates and make them less impacting to install, not requiring system wipes to upgrade to the next OS. They will do this with Windows, they will do this with Office (Office 16 will most likely be very soon after the Office 15 release, going away from the 3-5 year product cycle), and they will do this with the rest of their products. This is what Apple and Google does, why is it bad for Microsoft? If change is bad, go ahead and go into open source land. This way you can build your environment the way YOU want instead of the way someone thinks you'll use it. My two cents.[/citation]
People don't mind change. They just don't want a mobile UI on their desktop PC. Yes, I have used Win8 on a desktop. It wasn't useful or intuitive to me at all. It definitely looked like it would be great for a tablet though.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]yay i'll just throw this out there because its funny. http://img.labnol.org/di/googlechrome.jpg[/citation]

LOL; good find ! :)

jexel

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
The point I am trying to make is that it is not hard to use, and on the RTM version there is a tutorial on the new features and UI experience that you get while you load it to show you the features. My biggest complaint on Windows 8 was how to turn the damn thing off but that was really most of it. I do enjoy the new admin features though, task manager, file copy etc. Those are the cool toys no one is talking about. Server 2012 also benefits from those features, while incorporating the new start menu. As an admin, I am of two minds on that one at this point, leave my server experience simple and easy to use. They did however allow you to now manage all server environments from one machine in a much simpler way, and that was pretty slick.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Apple will sue....A square is a shortened rectangle derived from the iPhone.[/citation]

No, these 4 squares are 4 iPhone buttons where they only modified the corner from round to pointy. That is still too close the Apple buttons and must be stopped :)

/SARCASM

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I think it looks nice, feels very modern.[/citation]
though i have very little against the new os, fuck the very modern "art" :) even looking around internet and seeing what modern art represents it makes me feel like this age is ment to be for retards :)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]zulutech[/nom]Does this mean that microsoft is going square?[/citation]
I'm glad they didn't infridge upon rounded corners though.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i hope they did not patent those 4 color combinations, otherwise we cannot paint a landscape scene with a yellow sun, blue skies, green trees and people wearing red shirts

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]How much money did Microsoft spent on designing their new logo? Some companies spent a large sum, only to get terrible results. Such as Enron, the name cost the predecessor InterNorth company around $100k (either in 1960's or 2010's money), but neither InterNorth or the design company realized Enron was also a Greek term for the digestive system or intestine.The correction attempts nailed Enron another few millions after the market and competitors reacted accordingly.[/citation]
I think you have it confused with "endo" which means inside or internal.

Status
Not open for further replies.