Microsoft Upgrades SkyDrive Too Before Google Drive Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
The only way to get the 25GB from SkyDrive is if you had an account before April 22nd, although don't take my word for it, but it's what I've been reading online.

Even if you had the free 25GB before, MS has downgraded you to 7GB, and like I said above, you can get back to the 25GB if you've had an account before April 22nd.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]um... skydrive has been at 25GB for a while now. Unless I am someone special... which I am pretty sure I am not.[/citation]

Proof that toms takes forever to report things.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
It was downgraded to 7GB a couple of days ago, but you can get the 25GB back, although I am not sure if the April 22nd cut-off date is accurate or not.

[citation][nom]ragenalien[/nom]Proof that toms takes forever to report things.[/citation]
I figured out what happened.

When I set up Skydrive for the Win8DP it gave me 25GB of online storage, and 5GB of syncable storage. When I checked my account I was in fact downgraded to 7GB, but now the syncable drive and the online storage were a single drive (they were separate before), and now that I 'upgraded' back to 25GB I now have 25GB of syncable storage which now works in win7 as well as win8CP which is kinda a handy feature.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
I have always had 25GB on Skydrive... It's about time Microsoft released a client side interface for it. I never liked the clumsy web-based interface. Microsoft does a lot of things right, but web apps that are user-friendly have never been a strong point.

balo_p

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
If you go to the Skydrive app page there is a link at the bottom of the page for More Skydrive Apps. There are two Android browsing apps. I have not tried either yet but will later tonight.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ukulele97[/nom]Skydrive, Google Drive - does any of those sync like dropbox?[/citation]Goggle Drive isn't out yet, so I can't speak for that, but SkyDrive works exactly like dropbox.

StitchExperiment626

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
The problem I had was that you couldn't put executable files in the cloud to be stored. And it would only store a limited set of file types.
Here's a better place that is free to try for a month 250GB. Then $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year.
It will do multiple computers.
It does cloud storage and retrieve of ANY type of file, and will do system image
The software provides system image in the cloud and physical even to an NAT system. Doing incremental backup of new files on your set schedule to cloud and physical.
The software is free which would normally cost you $30-$80.
Recovery can be from USB or disk.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/online-backup/

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

I've used SkyDrive for about as long as it's been around. It was one of those weird experiences when cloud storage started to take off and I had that free 25GB of free online storage sitting there. Then I see yesterday that my limit dropped to 7GB. As someone else mentioned, they tell you that you have the option to keep your original 25, but it's not as rosy as the article suggests. From reading the article I thought I was about to get a boost from 25 to 50, but oh well. I was using less than 1 GB of it anyway.

Don't like cloud storage much anyway. Why? I live in Florida. Florida has thunderstoms nearly half the year. Last weekend, we had thunderstorms. Electricity blinked out a moment, but the internet was down for several hours (Comcast may have fast internet, but their service can be absolute crap sometimes). If I did have all my stuff stored in the cloud, I'd have been stuck for about six hours without access to any of my stuff. Then of course you have things like with Megaupload...

My suggestion to everyone, keep your data on your own computer, get a hard drive and an external enclosure, and handle your own backups. It'll probably save you time, money, and headaches in the long run. But that's just my two cents.

Erich_18

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Sweet! I'm back to using skydrive for my cloud computing needs (mainly work and personal docs). Had switched to dropbox mainly because of the folder style client for windows and ios. MS finally made their client app and finally updated that sleezy iphone looking app they had for the ipad.

StitchExperiment626

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
You can do the same thing with this... it has its own processor will do anything serve the house and cloud but won't do the dirty dishes.

Western Digital My Book Live 1,2 or 3 TB Personal Cloud Storage Drive

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Personal-Cloud-Storage/dp/B00439GMJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335321738&sr=8-1

Connect this powerful drive to your wireless router for shared storage on your home network that you can access within and outside the home. Share files with Mac computers and PCs, stream media to your television through your DLNA™-enabled devices, and access files remotely with the WD 2go app and website.

Your media and files on your own personal cloud - Create your own personal cloud, without the monthly fees and mysterious location of your data. Store your media and files on the drive and access them securely over the Internet with any PC or Mac computer. Or, use WD's mobile apps for easy access with your tablet or smartphone. It's like having up to 3 TB of extra storage for your mobile device.

Automatic, wireless backup for all your computers - Protect your precious memories and wirelessly back up all the PC and Mac computers on your network to one reliable location. Windows users can use the included WD SmartWare software and every time you save something, it's instantly backed up. Mac users can utilize all the features of Apple® Time Machine™ backup software to protect their data.

Ideal for

Storing your digital media collection on your wired or wireless network
Sharing videos, music, and photos with all the computers on your network
Backing up data from all the PCs and Mac computers in your home
Viewing photos and files with your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, or Android™ smartphone
Streaming media to your Blu-ray Disc™ players, game consoles, media players, or other DNLA/UPnP devices on your home network
What's in the box
Network drive, Ethernet cable, AC power adapter, Installation and software CD, Quick Install Guide.

Compatibility
Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista, Windows 7
Mac OS® X Leopard or Snow Leopard
DLNA/UPnP enabled devices

I'v just purchased a new Linksys/Cisco EA-3500 router and am thinking of attaching a 2 TB unit to it.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
cool. after dropbox upgraded their bonus from 250 mb to 500 mb, now skydrive. it's gonna be interesting to see what drive.google will offer to compete. most likely, i will be using them all.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The best thing about Skydrive is not the 25Gb of storage, it is the remote access function so you can turn your whole PC into a big remote file server. Streaming to my laptop so I can watch the many Tb's of TV or movies I have is so cool

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
This is good to know. I have been using Skydrive to back up my photos, through the web interface. After I just checked I realized I had been downgraded 7GB, which would not hold all my photos. It's also nice to see there is finally a computer client, which will make it a lot easier to back everything up.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I just checked my Skydrive account and found it real easy to get gack to 25gb. Just a few clicks.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I was able to "invite" enough friends with my drop box account to max out the amount of free space. Through some trick of fate I have nearly as much free drop box storage as I do Skydrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS