Microsoft Wants To Get Rid of Passwords, Joins Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzooo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Microsoft can well you know where it can be placed I am turning to Ubuntu and Winows 7
all that metro garbidge to much is reliant to having to be conected online I did my 50gb quota all because of installing winows 8.1 and then installing my games that all had to be updated online which didnt work because of 32bit 64bit and brouser compatibility for constant online conection

G

Government and corporations love you! Please pay your taxes so they can make more bombs and kill more people. Because they love you.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Why does the comments section paint a picture of MS failing or focus to how their OS sucks. This simply joined an already existing alliance by Google, BlackBerry, MasterCard, LG, etc.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Near Field holds great promise. At birth a unique coded chip could be inserted under the skin of every individual. The for their entire life they could have secure authentication for everything. Once code you would need only to stand close to your car, front door or whatever to unlock. Multiple chips in various body parts could be used to interface with chips in other people for direct and personal communications. Oh the brave new world holds such wonders and possibilities.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Bad idea of getting us chipped. What if somebody skims your chipped ID since it would be based on RF technology. Then what? I am favor the idea of getting rid of passwords but it has to be easy and secure to use. Remember dozens or so passwords is a PITA so currently I use a password manager to keep track of em all which is encrypted with a master password. Works well in the computer world but what about everywhere else?

Gotta be a standard or nobody will use it.

Geef

Distinguished
At least they are joining a group to try to figure out how they can get rid of passwords. No matter what they do someone will always think its a bad idea. I'm sure they will come up with something that works and becomes a standard.
Maybe it can be a standard like USB except its named FIDO 1.0 or 2.0 and so on.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I prefer dick pattern identification, it also give your true sex at the same time, so that guys will not pretend to be girls when online.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

Nice...and Skype is possibly going 3D. Your computer is your new gloryhole. Who will be the first to admit their Mini-ATX case has enough headway for validation against someone who has an ATX Super Tower?

genz

Distinguished
Replace it all with a private/public asymmetrical key system. Give us means to implant it onto a body part of our choosing using a method that requires physical contact (not just proximity) and give us means to change it in the same way we change our passwords when they become compromised, and I might actually start listening... but for now, hell no. I do not want to have to go and see a surgeon if and when someone steals my credit card in the post.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Doesn't matter what method of authentication is used, it all gets converted to binary and stored. So DNA, dick shape, retina, or "Password123" will always be able to be copied and sent to whoever is on the other end of the internet asking for authentication.

viliu24

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
who cares what form of authentication is used, since history told us that for each law applied there will be a way to avoid it. The biggest problem is why do they need OUR personal details like retina, finger prints, dna or whatever is strictly bound to us. Is always said "we wont use it for "x" reason , is just for your security" .I would never trust to give those details to anyone , and certainly i would not accept to be chiped like a cow.Now sounds promising all these technology that are safer and easier to use but in time there is a huge chance that you wont have a private identity.I strongly belive that for now, the safer way to encrypt your personal data is a password that is wisely choosed. Like some said earlier , all form of authentication are digitally stored, so any of these at some point they can be cracked, so again , why the need of my fingerprint , retina scan .......

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Yessss I'm tired of typing in and remembering damn passwords. One feature I really like about my 5s is the fingerprint lock, there's no guessing, you HAVE to be me to get into my phone.

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Yessss I'm tired of typing in and remembering damn passwords. One feature I really like about my 5s is the fingerprint lock, there's no guessing, you HAVE to be me to get into my phone.

Nahkman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Theres already a pretty nifty app browser addon combo that is way more secure than passwords and the app combo removes the need to remember your passwords. It's called Clef. getclef.com + the addon getwaltz.com
Not supporting many pages as of now but this could be the future.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Sometimes the simplest and most logical solution is the least obvious. This is one of those times.

The only reason identity theft occurs is because identities are worth something. If people didn't use credit cards and other identity based payment methods, identity theft would drop to practically zero. What if every package you ordered was payed for by COD? What if delivery could be scheduled for specific times? It could be done without too much trouble.

Such an idea might sound shocking at first, until you think about why we even have credit cards. In the United States, someone gets a credit card, such as a visa, through a bank or some other institution. Visa doesn't pay for a transaction, the lending institution does. However, the lending institutions don't use their money to pay for these transactions. The lending institutions use credit extended to them from the Federal Reserve. In essence, credit cards would not exist in the United States if the Federal Reserve did want them to. A similar statement can be made about a central bank in nearly every country.

It is in the Federal Reserve's best interest to have us using cash as little as possible. It is nearly impossible to determine how much digital money is out on the street. They can put out trillions of dollars without having to print anything or suffer the inflationary consequences that comes with an increasingly large supply. Not that the Fed dislikes inflation. They just dislike hyper inflation. Basically they don't have to worry about people's faith in the dollar being diminished by having too much money out on the streets. The faith in a fiat currency is all that sustains it.

Your convenience comes at a great cost. Without credit cards, the Fed would not be able to put out as much money as they do now. If the fed curbed how much money they injected into the economy, they would curb inflation to some extent. How much is hard to say, but inflation is responsible for the greatest redistribution of wealth worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS