Microsoft: We'll Sell 30 Million Phones in 18 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneasytarget

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If MSFT gives heavy subsidies so the phones are under $99 each, they could sell that many phones worldwide. Although, I would be surprised if they can sell 10M in the next 18 months.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
They've managed to beat Sony at their game, while being late to the party. I hope they manage to beat Apple in the same way, because that's what Microsoft is good at.

G

I wonder if they think they can sell that many because the smartphone market is going to grow so large that even if they get only 20% of it, it it still 30mil phones.

Or do they think they have some sort of Ace up their Sleeve with the new Windows 7 phones. Something that will make them obviously superior to Android.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
If apple has sold 51 million android will be in second or 1st place I doubt MSFT can even get ahead of apple cause apple have alot of sheep that just like apples.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The secret is lots of hip advertising, just like Apple does.

OTOH anybody with past WM phone experience will probably stay away from them. My current WM phone is not very impressive- it has a very slow browser, its gps doesn't work, it has a difficult menu system. The sound quality isn't too bad though.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Well the iPhone is limited to AT&T here in the US, so W7 phone at least has a broad market. Im not a fan of the Android OS at all and I think the only real reason it has sold a lot is because of the broad carrier support.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
As long as the data plan is so expensive (additional $30 per month), I don't think that many people will switch over to smart phones. Especially when you have to be on data plan for two freakin years.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Microsoft: Why the Zunes are not the dominant players and who is stopping you to create phones a millions? I mention the Zune because I remember big Zune expectations from MS. To be honest I appreciate more competition from every company but announcements!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]As long as the data plan is so expensive (additional $30 per month), I don't think that many people will switch over to smart phones. Especially when you have to be on data plan for two freakin years.[/citation]

Where have you been the past 10 years? tons of people switch to smart phones $30 might be a bit high but for people who want the smart phones like my self its not exactly exorbiant. They need to lower it yes but still. The comment makes no sense when millions of subscribers have already switched to smart phones in such a small ammount of time. I for one am never going back to a normal phone and honestly i think the "normal" phones are dead anyway.

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
You guys know nothing about data plans and yet complain. Come to South America where we have to pay 20 USD for 400 SMS.. or 035 Cents/Minute of Call and then think about complaining of what you have.

therealfly

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Microsoft's numbers sound about right. Most business people carry smart phones for 1 reason, to get emails. Seamless integration with Exchange will sell millions of these phones alone. I bet there are a LOT of companies that will jump at the chance to ditch their BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Apple doesn't need to worry about this cutting into their market, but RIM does.

popatim

Titan
Win Mobile sucked. I had a 5 and a 6.5 and got so fed up with that piece of garbage I will never go back. I got a basic blackjack phone to hold me over until the tegra phones came out... I'm still waiting... (You listening Nvidia??? It's been almost 2 years!) IMO, the only thing thats going to put competition to the iPhone is the PSP Phone. Thats what people want - Games & Pron! Maybe I should just contact Hugh, The Playboy phone Oh YEah!

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
wow..this is a huge goal to accomplish. I'm sorry but as much as I love microsoft (especially over apple), I dont think they can meet such a goal. The WP7 looks like a phone that would fall next to the HTC perhaps, in terms of popularity; which to say is not a bad phone. I'm sure this phone will be good, but they must reallllly have somethin up their sleeve if they're setting their goals so high.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]The secret is lots of hip advertising, just like Apple does.OTOH anybody with past WM phone experience will probably stay away from them. My current WM phone is not very impressive- it has a very slow browser, its gps doesn't work, it has a difficult menu system. The sound quality isn't too bad though.[/citation]
Oh yeah. WM mobiles also allow you to install stuff without using itunes or apple's store. Which is scary.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Microsoft: Why the Zunes are not the dominant players and who is stopping you to create phones a millions?[/citation]
No offense and I dunno about Zunes, but I think Sony Walkman aren't dominant players because of average consumer is quite clueless.
If product doesn't sell well it doesn't mean it's bad or even worse than the most successfull one. It's more of a "how well marketing department worked".

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Again we have MS copying Apple and yes I am typing this on my 13.3" Macbook Pro and the keyboard is illuminated so as I sit on my couch listening to my ASUS 8.9" netbook running Windows XP as an OS but running Itunes because my Macbook Pro is my main machine; Furthermore, Starcraft 1 does not work on Windows 7 64bit very well. I do give the OS co-developed with the FEDS/NSA credit, it is not a bad gaming platform.
Ubuntu is a rocking secure OS, more secure then OS X.
My cat rolled over while sitting outside on my patio and knocked over a full Corona in it while I was browsing the web. Goodby sweet 13.3" Acer Timeline running Ubuntu 10.04 (only 2 days old) and fixed my sleep problem but OS X on a 13.3" Macbook Pro rocks.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
It's not as simple as making the best product for the right price sadly, Microsoft has a lot to go up against.
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]...and I'm going to have a three-some with Megan Fox and Jessica Alba.[/citation]
And I'm going to bring my camera. A Win7 phone with a 100p video camera in it!

Good luck Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.