Microsoft Will Discuss Next-gen API DirectX 12 at GDC 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I know it's wishful thinking, but please make it somehow backwards capable with my brand new MSI 4G Gaming R9 290. I only bought it a month ago

Sep 22, 2013
Did AMD's Mantle push Microsoft into cooking up a new DirectX? Last year AMD stated that there was no DirectX 12 on Microsoft's roadmap. Microsoft clarified by saying that the company remained committed to evolving DirectX, but didn't say anything else after that. AMD then reveals its Mantle API late last year, and suddenly a new DirectX is on the radar. Coincidence?
More likely, as has been shown to be the case when similar conversations about Intel suggested such things, is that the *name* DirectX was no longer being applied to the API, rather than the API development being taken off the table entirely.I think this will be a good step, maybe *the* step toward true UGA.I'm stoked. Any word on the actual *release* date of DX12?

youcanDUit

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
what does this mean for current computer hardware? will this force people to buy new hardware? does this mean that DX12 will be used, ultimately. i don't like the idea of DX12, in general as it'll probably put a choke-hold on dev's and companies alike. is this- should this be- good news?

This is the same (in a way) like the move up from every other version of DX since DX9, new hardware all round in the GPU dept. The question should be, if this is going to be like Mantle but be able to run on both AMD and Nvidia hardware then what will become of Mantle and was it worth it?

Sep 22, 2013

It doesn't necessarily mean that a new GPU is needed. My 770s support DX11, yet this didn't even exist when they were released. It's supported through drivers, not hardware.

Of course, optimized hardware meant to target the advantages brought by this API could come out and get a better % boost from DX12, but it's ultimately up to Nvidia & AMD to support it through their drivers.

In terms of comparison to Mantle, it's yet to be seen, but even AMD said Mantle was fairly low-cost and easy to develop, so hardly a loss. It's likely Mantle will still give a bit of a boost for AMD users vs. DX12 as it will still be more hardware-specific, but I guess that's for Tom's to decide using a side-by-side on the same AMD card, forcing DX12 vs. Mantle on the same game.

I think you ought to do some research mate.

Peenasaur

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Or if he just read the short article... lol"DirectX 11 launched on Windows Vista and Windows 7 back in October 2009."GeForce 700 series was released in 2013. Basically, most of what he said was inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.