News Microsoft Will Let Enthusiasts Install Windows 11 on Non-Compliant PCs, Reports Say

DeepCool_Phoenix

Official Forum Representative
Aug 10, 2021
This is fantastic. I'm happy they allowed the ISO some extra flexibility. It's astonishing how old of a computer can accept Windows 10 with some finessing. Personally, I've gotten it working as far back as a Core 2 Duo from around 2006(i think). I look forward to seeing how far we can push Windows 11

hannibal

Distinguished
Hard to say… at this moment they allow also older computers, so that they can test how compatible or uncompatible those older devices are!
they have allready reported that some older devices has ower 50% more crashes than the newer ones so it is possible that they close this option or at least they dont make improvements to win11 to make it more stable with older hardware (aka they dont support those older computers) even the user may install it if they really want to. Also any crash and lose of data is in the hand of user who did install win11 to uncompatible computer. So i would not put win11 to a work related computer if it is not officially supported!

USAFRet

Titan
My understanding and word from several of the well known PC tubers is that once the final release comes out, there will be an update push that will stop this from being operational.
And we've been getting conflicting reports from MS.

Only new...
Maybe older...
TPM required...
TPM Maybe...
blah blah...

Nothing is certain until the day after it actually happens.

As long as the TPM requirement stays it is the same many millions of PCs locked out.

on the personal and custom built side probably.

on the OEM Business PC's this will open up more. Dell has had TPM built into their Optiplex likes since 6th gen for sure, possibly 4th gen and a little older. Some of the older 5/9 series Optiplexs for sure had them and then the 3 series didn't. All depends.

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
on the personal and custom built side probably.

on the OEM Business PC's this will open up more. Dell has had TPM built into their Optiplex likes since 6th gen for sure, possibly 4th gen and a little older. Some of the older 5/9 series Optiplexs for sure had them and then the 3 series didn't. All depends.

Yup.
I have an 6th gen optiplex here that not only has TPM but TPM 2.0 built into it

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
It should be simple as if you dont have TPM then its not supported and use it at your own risk because of the tech keep moving.

Apr 1, 2020
Considering Ryzen 2000 series (Zen+) is just a slightly tweaked Ryzen 1000 (Zen) architecture, it makes zero sense for them to not be able to handle Windows 11 without crashing, so it sounds like AMD has basically requested them to be blacklisted. Even though the Ryzen 3000 series is much faster and works on 300 series motherboards, for those of us who bought in early having to replace a perfectly good CPU that sold for up to $500 3 years ago is crazy.

It's also crazy because it excludes the Threadripper 1000 series, as it's also Zen based, and someone who may have dropped $1000 on a 1950X on a platform which is only upgradable to a still near $1000 or more Threadripper 2000 series, so those people -really- got the shaft...and I was very close to being one of those after my first 1800X died.

But the good news is that Windows 11 doesn't bring anything game changing to the table unless you're Intel, it means new licenses for businesses whose software doesn't jump OS versions, and for the significant percentage of users who aren't computer literate and will be as lost with the new changes to the Windows 11 UI as they were from 7 to 10 (and we all know people like that), so blocking the upgrade is a good thing.

Considering Ryzen 2000 series (Zen+) is just a slightly tweaked Ryzen 1000 (Zen) architecture, it makes zero sense for them to not be able to handle Windows 11 without crashing, so it sounds like AMD has basically requested them to be blacklisted. Even though the Ryzen 3000 series is much faster and works on 300 series motherboards, for those of us who bought in early having to replace a perfectly good CPU that sold for up to $500 3 years ago is crazy.

It's also crazy because it excludes the Threadripper 1000 series, as it's also Zen based, and someone who may have dropped $1000 on a 1950X on a platform which is only upgradable to a still near $1000 or more Threadripper 2000 series, so those people -really- got the shaft...and I was very close to being one of those after my first 1800X died.

But the good news is that Windows 11 doesn't bring anything game changing to the table unless you're Intel, it means new licenses for businesses whose software doesn't jump OS versions, and for the significant percentage of users who aren't computer literate and will be as lost with the new changes to the Windows 11 UI as they were from 7 to 10 (and we all know people like that), so blocking the upgrade is a good thing.
Good points, but not so important, so not so crazy:
  • Zen was released in early 2017, making it more than 4 years old, not 3;
  • The 1800X was very much a fringe processor, most people went for the far more reasonable 1600 (non AF) and 1700 ; the 1800X was so overpriced that if you could afford it at the time, you replaced it when the 3950 came out;
  • after 4 years, you're either ready to upgrade the CPU, ready to run Win10 for 4 more years, or able to run Windows 11 unsupported;
  • if you're still running a Threadripper 1st gen in 2021, you're not using it as your bread winner - if it were, you'd have switched to 3rd gen TR 18 months ago.
Note that I run a 2700X under Linux, so actually I could care less.
It's true that, instructions-wise there isn't much difference between Zen and Zen+, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Zen firmwares being dropped from future AGESA updates for more recent chipsets like B450 to X570 to support more APUs and the probable Zen3+ refresh while reducing tests complexity for AMD and mobo makers. It's very likely that many failings of the original Zen cores were corrected by firmware and fixed in Zen+, as such carrying so many workarounds in AGESA must me making it difficult to maintain.
Intel's 7th gen had no excuse, as it's not an early iteration of Skylake (6th gen is) and it is strictly identical to 8th gen, number of cores per market division aside.