Microsoft Will Offer Surface RT to Schools for $200

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruntlord6

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
This actually seems like a really good deal for schools. I have no idea what the Ipad pricing is for K12, but I would imagine it is a lot higher then $200. Having a cheap alternative tablet that is a recognized brand for schools is good news.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Sounds like they are trying to burn through old inventory in preparation for the newer models that should be released 3-4 months. Still, how productive can one be on a Surface RT? What kind of Apps or what-not will these schools be using I wonder. I suppose if they can view their books in a PDF viewer and take notes that would be sufficient. I might buy one for my GF if it is available.

While I don't like the surface RT, they're plenty productive. it comes with the RT version of MS office (it's a slightly watered down desktop version without advanced functions like macros etc). it runs an internet browser just fine, and has most of the basic apps and lets you view PDF. honestly that's all you need for a school kid.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

This is the best tablet that kids in elementary through high school could get. It comes pre-loaded with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. It can also handle PDF's, play video, and has 2 options for attachable keyboard covers. It does all the basics that any other tablet can do but comes with the standard Microsoft Office suite that every child should be exposed to. I'd much rather my hypothetical kid was given one of these to do his/her school work on than an iPad or Android tablet. Having a legitimate Office suite and a Type Cover for less than $300 is way better for school children than other options.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
As whiteodian said "Still, how productive can one be on a Surface RT?" - hmm, seeing as it has Microsoft Office pre-installed, which is the de-facto productivity tool for pretty much the entire corporate world, I reckon it's not too shabby

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
School districts couldn't care less how much computers cost. Neither would I if I were spending somebody else's money to buy computers for somebody else's kids. Our local school board just tried to get a $5 million levy passed to put a computer lab in their new $25 million junior high school. There aren't even a thousand kids in that school - that's $5,000 / student.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Im all for discounts for our students. Let them decide what is best for them and perhaps making the Surface more affordable will sway kids from iPads. Only way to do it at this point.

Just what we need more frustrated teenagers. I hope the put the suicide prevention hotline number on the back of their tablets for those that can't figure them out. At least MS can get rid of all those tablets they can't sell and perhaps cover most of their cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.