Microsoft: Windows 8 Sales 'on Par' with Win 7 after 3 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]I have yet to meet anyone using Windows 8 on a tablet.[/citation]

I've yet to meet anyone who's cousin's, sister's dog is using a Windows 8 Tablet.

I know cousin's, sister's, dogs that are still using Window 3.11, but not Windows 8 Tablet (I think the dogs prefer the simpler interface. To be honest, they aren't that smart).

Selling out the PC for the tablet and phone was a big mistake. But, we have to expect that from Microsoft these days.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
The sales caught up because they're forcing everyone to have it on their new computers, and forcing all the builders to pay for it out of the fact that it's cheaper than their last OS, Windows 7. They don't have a right to brag and tout their sales quotas if they did it unfairly.

That's like saying .50 Oranges are better than 1.00 Apples because people buy oranges more than apples.

InvalidError

Titan
How many of those sales are:
1) people who faked having a new Win7 PC to get the $15 upgrade
2) people who had a genuine new Win7 PC and upgraded for $15
3) people who upgraded for $40

So Microsoft had to practically give Win8 away to catch up with Win7... doesn't sound particularly good to me.

[citation][nom]Taplamp[/nom]The sales caught up because they're forcing everyone to have it on their new computers, and forcing all the builders to pay for it out of the fact that it's cheaper than their last OS, Windows 7. They don't have a right to brag and tout their sales quotas if they did it unfairly.That's like saying .50 Oranges are better than 1.00 Apples because people buy oranges more than apples.[/citation]

They did the exact same thing with Windows 7. They did the exact same thing with Windows Vista. They did the exact same thing with Windows XP. As soon as they release a new OS, they start loading up the OEMs with it.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]I have yet to meet anyone using Windows 8 on a tablet.[/citation]
I have yet to meet anyone that is using Windows 8 period. Everyone I know is either on Windows 7, Mac OS X, or have ditched their desktops all together for an iPad/Android tablet.

My boss (who isn't exactly computer literate) actually returned his brand new Windows 8 laptop in exchange for a Macbook Pro because he found Macs easier to use. When you have a life-long Windows user switching to Mac because it is easier to use than Windows 8--you got a problem.

And as much as Microsoft is claiming that Windows 8 is doing fine... everyone knows they are a little bit disappointed with the reception it has gotten so far.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]They did the exact same thing with Windows 7. They did the exact same thing with Windows Vista. They did the exact same thing with Windows XP. As soon as they release a new OS, they start loading up the OEMs with it.[/citation]

Partially true, but PC makers typically gave you a choice when custom ordering for about 6 months after the new OS released. This time, nope. Win7 is byebye, there is no option on most configs.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This is PR talk for failure. Let's see:

1. The PC install base is bigger than it was back in 2009 when Windows 7 was launched, therefore the market for upgrades is bigger;

2. Microsoft did indeed state that they had a 40% increase in Windows 8 upgrade sales. That was because of what I stated in nr. 1., but also because:

a) The special upgrade offer was for Windows 8 Pro compared to Windows 7 Home Premium; this offering of a higher tier product at that price level was never done by Microsoft;

b ) The special upgrade price was $39.99 compared to $49.99 for Windows 7, so not only cheaper, but also a higher version (with free Media Center upgrade to bring it on par feature wise with Windows 7 HP);

c) For the first time ever, people who had installed the Consumer and Release Preview also qualified for the special Windows 8 Pro upgrade price;

d) For a few days people were able to insert false data regarding their date of purchase of a computer (MS didn't want a scanned receipt or anything to verify, so even the purchase of the PC could be fictitious) on Microsoft's site in order to be able to only pay $15 for the upgrade, in what amounts to either a deliberate marketing stunt without admitting to it or it was just incompetence, in any case, many people got the chance to upgrade for even cheaper;

3. They are not stating how many people are actually using Windows 8. Many people just took advantage of the special upgrade price ($39.99, or 29,99 € in Europe, which is what I paid), and are keeping the .ISO on the HDD or on a burned DVD, while still using Windows 7. Data from Internet browsing suggests that people are not actually using Windows 8, it's usage share is below Windows Vista for the same period (and that is worrying given that the market was not only smaller back in 2007, but Windows XP wasn't as old as it is now. In fact, Windows XP's usage actually went up slightly in January (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Market-Share-Microsoft,20859.html) as strange as that seems!

4. The Market shares of tablets with Windows 8 And Windows RT with touchscreen input are 0.08% and 0.02% respectively, and that is supposed to be the main focus of the OS, at least according to their ads that show nothing but the once called Metro UI.

There is only so much bending of reality Microsoft can do. The Surface Pro should be a niche product given its size, weight, and especially battery life (4- 5 hours according to none other than Microsoft) and price, not to mention many tech savvy people will probably wait for a Haswell powered Surface Pro with much better battery life later in the year.

Considering that the special upgrade price offer has ended, and the holiday season before that, Microsoft can only count on more and cheaper touchscreen devices being sold. Perhaps Atom powered instead of Core i5 powered, but until Intel releases the 22nm out of order with Ivy Bridge graphics Atom, I don't think many people will buy those either as they will be waiting. So the hope lies with cheaper ARM powered tablets, but will people buy a Windows RT powered tablet that doesn't differentiate itself because it can't run desktop applications instead of an Android powered device that has a store with many more apps ?

My bet is that Microsoft may see a noticeable increase in sales in the second half of the year, but even then Windows 8's performance in the market and usage share will comparatively be below Windows 7.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
I had to try helping my 60+ yr old mother figure out how to use this OS and even I got stumped. I felt bad because I talked her into buying this new laptop for herself because I figured the new user interface would be easy for her to use. But it wasn't easy for her and it wasn't easy for me. Asides from that her computer came with a buggy installation of the OS so she had to deal with Microsoft Customer Support. That was hell, they called back for 2 weeks and never found a solution to her problem, they eventually gave up and sent her new install discs.

G

I call Bs on this one! I work in the tech field and have yet to see someone using Win 8 or that hasnt been talked out of buying a new lap/PC with it. 98% of folks are happy with 7 and not even contemplating getting 8.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Windows 7 only available for desktops and laptops. Windows 8 is available for many more devices including the former. Equal sale rates still weigh in favor of Windows 7 in this scenario. I'll believe them once I see it being used everywhere including my own machines.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I use Win 8 and it has been fine. Bin the default apps and the top left charm bar and its all good. Its fast and stable. I only bothered upgrading my main Rig and left Win 7 on the others but I have no regrets about the one upgrade I have done.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I personally find the Window 8 OS appealing. I just got it a week ago and am still getting used to it, but I personally like it enough to switch from my Android phone to a Window 8 phone. The only thing stopping me is there isn't a Window 8 phone currently on the market I like.

G

Enterprise: buy laptop with windows 8, wipe drive, install windows 7, NEXT!

I love win8, but I am still going to call at least a partial BS on this.
1) Most of those sales are to OEMs, so those initial sales may be high, but the proof is in the re-orders. If units do not sell, then they will not reorder often as they will be sitting on that initial stock
2) Most individuals I know who purchased win8 only bought it as a cheap insurance in the event of being forced to upgrade in the future. The specific fear is that the NextBox will run win8 of some sort, and run on x86 hardware, which means that there is potential for MS to open up xbox games to Windows8 boxes. But if you are running win7 then you would be up a creek. $40 is much cheaper than $140... though $140 is still cheaper than a new console.
Yes, a sale is a sale, whether they use it or not, but a sale that gets use is much more likely to produce the word of mouth advertising that will generate sustained sales numbers.
3) As much as I enjoy using win8, I would not pay retail for it. MetroUI is neat, and there are a few apps I actuially use on a regular basis (kinda a suprise to me), and I love the VHD and VCD mounting, and the better networking/file sharing, cloud integration, security, and task manager... but all in all it is just a highly moded win7. Definitely worth the $40 upgrade... but $140 is a bit hard to swallow, especially when you have multiple machines.

Hopefully Windows Blue spruces things up a bit.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Looks like the win8fanbois are out in force thumbing all the factual comments down that actually debunk this story.

I'm an IT guy - I have yet to see or even KNOW anyone with Windows 8. With Windows 7, I had people that were ready to upgrade within days. And did happily!!!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
My boss has a Win8 tablet that's quite nice from Asus I think. We mostly sell Win8 on desktops with touchscreens because it's not nearly as useful with a mouse. Personally, I won't upgrade to it because it strips out some features I use such as DVD Maker, and I won't buy a touch screen for my desktop.

I think the high sales are due to the $40 upgrade price tag. Tons of people didn't want to miss this and brought in their computers with their credit card info for us to do the upgrade for them. My boss even ran around to several of our workstations and demo machines, upgrading them for the $40 fee.

technicalbass

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Looks like the win8fanbois are out in force thumbing all the factual comments down that actually debunk this story. I'm an IT guy - I have yet to see or even KNOW anyone with Windows 8. With Windows 7, I had people that were ready to upgrade within days. And did happily!!!

Yep davewolfgang...I would have to agree. I work in IT and have my hands on anywhere from 5 to 50 pc's a day and the idea what windows 8 has matched windows 7 is just insanity....downvoted for my statement...Laugh. Ignorance is bliss I guess.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS