Microsoft Working on Windows 8.1 Update Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiausV2

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
What about the constant wifi drop? Since I upgraded to 8.1, my desktop won't keep a connection for more than an hour - whilst my other devices happily chug away.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Finally. This has taken Microsoft way too long. Getting dozens of customers coming up with the 8.1 upgrade failing, this was getting really annoying.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Just go back to Windows 7...thats what most people have done...or switch O/S's all together. Windows 8 is the probably the worst product microsoft has EVER released

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
@SaiausV2 - that problem has been happening since the launch of WIN8 and there is still no answer. MS is pointing fingers at the hardware manufactures and They are pointing the finger at MS.

SaiausV2

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
@antilycus - which is unfortunate, I was speaking with my wife last night about it and mentioned that very same solution of rolling back. Ugh.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
What about the constant wifi drop? Since I upgraded to 8.1, my desktop won't keep a connection for more than an hour - whilst my other devices happily chug away.
Not likely to be Windows 8 or 8.1, more likely to be your wireless card and/or router. Enough said.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I personally think Microsoft should not have hidden the update in the store which a lot of users never touch, if they just made it like a service pack a lot more people would have installed it by now. But yea the people having problems should be fixed.

vgray35

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Microsoft has their heads in the clouds and thinks we all have infinite bandwidth to burn at the store. I cannot afford a 3.6GB download on a metered satellite internet connection, let alone 4 of them for 4 computers. Yet try as hard as I may, I cannot obtain a free 8.1 upgrade DVD, so the whole family is stuck on windows 8 unable to move forward. They will not provide an upgrade DVD, yet they presume to threaten us with cutoff from services if we do no upgrade. With each passing month I am getting steadily more angry with that arrogant company. I do not understand why they are so stupid to appreciate what is going on around them.

SaiausV2

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

I thought so too and have uninstalled and reinstalled current drivers, etc. I haven't dug too deeply into the router though since I had never had this consistent of a problem with other OS' - definitely could be the problem, however.

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I will install 8.1 when I can use my windows 8 key to do a clean install. Until them, I'll just keep clicking the remind me later button.
I don't have enough space on my system drive to afford win 8 vanilla + 1000 updates.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I will install 8.1 when I can use my windows 8 key to do a clean install. Until them, I'll just keep clicking the remind me later button.
I don't have enough space on my system drive to afford win 8 vanilla + 1000 updates.
You do realise updates don't always add to the size, sometimes the opposite, upgrading from 8 to 8.1 gave me a net reduction of 3gb

jvd897

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
"Once Windows 8.1 is installed, customers will likely see Windows 8.1 Update 1 in Windows Store"

Correction: Windows 8.1 Update 1 is installed through Windows Update (as KB2919355) as opposed to the Windows Store.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I had update failure on Asus P5K motherboard, even when I had all the latest drivers and other updates already installed. Installing fresh 8.1 solved the problem.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Damn MS...
- upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 could leave you without workable system, some soft and hardware stopped working etc
- some Win 8 upgrades were giving BSOD and/or constant BSOD on boot
- upgrade Win8 to 8.1 could break your system and leave it in unusable state, some hardware stopped working until fixes that aired in a few months
- after some update updating your Win 8.1 system could give you BSOD, so we have another heroic attempt at MS to fix their own stuff.

And some people are still thinking that Win 8 is the same as Win 7 without metro crap :\

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I know, would make more sense to keep the service packs instead of making things more awkward.

Besides these updates not always working correctly many users i know of had to buy a copy of W7 because the updates were not working correctly and MS threatening to cut off update support if they did not install the update. Eventually W7 will lose it's support too but this is where i am choosing to use Linux instead. Great that MS has finally released an update fix, but their lack of urgency has made users more frustrated, not to mention the ridiculous size of the update.

Jay Stew

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

Call them up and tell them you want Windows 7. When they tell you it's not available I guess you will have to find more sinister means at your local computer fix it shop to circumvent the corporate greed that is MICROSOFT Business practices.

Jay Stew

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

Windows 7 will be around a lot longer than you think. I submit that 24% of computers use Windows XP still and guess what the world has not ended has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.