Microsoft Worried About PCs Still Using Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Nwokolo

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
And People Also Worry,Because M$ offer them a Cripple tablet OS to their PC..Hell No Microsoft !!! People Already spend a hundreds or a thousand Dollars to Build or buy their PC, So they want a REAL desktop OS,Not a Cripple one :kaola:

Absentsa

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
How difficult can it be for a company the size of MS to keep XP security up to date? If they were really 'worried' they would simply keep supporting it. This is bully tactics thinly veiled as consumer concern. I don't remember buying XP with an expiry date on the package. Should be a legal requirement if they do this consistently (Which they do). Load of bull if you ask me.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@Absentsa First look at other companies how much support they give you for their older products, then complain about MS not supporting XP, which even if it had security up to date would still be an outdated OS.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
of course MS says those pc's wil be at risk , but the real truth is that hackers will no longer bother with targeting win XP any more. now speaking of out dated OS'es I'd stil like to go build a win 98 "time machine" for nostalgia gaming, compatability programs only get you so far with some older games. wonder what MS thinks of that ?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Yeah sure, because everybody will go build a time machine for old games, don`t generalize just because you want something old and running in particular.

This is a 12 year-old OS.

Anyone who hasn't upgraded or doesn't have a plan has had plenty of time.

While they're at it, they should upgrade their Windows for Workgroups 3.11 machines as well. It is also advisable they stop relying on MS-DOS on their other machines.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
If microsoft worry so much about the lacks of windows upgrade, where is the $40 Win8 upgrade deal for all WinXP, WinVista, Win7 user?? I personally bought 4 of those when MS offered that $15/$40 upgrade deal when Win8 was released...

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
@Absentsa They don't give you an expiry date for cars either, but this doesn't mean that cars made 50 years ago are as safe as cars made today. Sure, you can still drive them and there are big chances nothing wrong would happen to you, but newer cars are safer to driver, and safer during crashes.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
hackers attack the majority. hackers attack what gets attention. our company of 15000 just went to 7. we are usually 3 to for years behind because all of our company apps have to be tested and working flawless or we could loose millions if they stop working at random.

realAMDfreak

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Worried ? :) I bet MS is worried of selling the new Win 8.1 licenses. Now they are trying to do their best to force the users upgrade. Soon they will say there is no support to Win XP. :)

fanchiuho

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
If M$ is really THAT worried, they should have taken some actions to improve Win8 ASAP already, not just continuing their marketing spree.
Especially for the older computers, XP users would want compatibility, low resource consumption and ease of use, so that way they won't need to bother upgrading both OS and hardware at the same time.
Windows 8? LOL. I mean, worse than 7, good for touchpad and bad for mouse and keyboard. No wonder M$ moans about, dev teams nowadays just can't get what users want.

vxd128

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Looking at the whole picture I can understand why MS wants to discontinue support for Windows XP. For them it's a business move that is being driven by the desire to get users to upgrade and for reducing overhead on their part. At this point they've released 3 newer versions of Windows since XP has been released. There are a lot of companies that will eventually quit supporting their older products. I wouldn't expect to get product updates on most software that is 5+ years old. Eventually a company has to look at how much does it cost them to keep programers dedicated to maintaining older versions of the software. There comes a point where it's not cost effective for them. I know as a consumer we don't always like hearing that but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. I remember reading a while back where a company is charging customers a service fee if they make a purchase using IE6 since they need to design the site to work with it. Eventually as a consumer you have to accept that there may be no more updates and you use it as it is.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
People who are forced to "upgrade" to Windows 8 absolutely hate it. Especially the one's whose old XP machines finally bit the dust. They may as well go to Linux or Apple then to use that counter-intuitive interface that Microsoft forced on everyone.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Sheesh, each time i see an article about MS, every single hater out there comes here to post a negative opinion (ofc i`ll get a lot of negatives for this post).
Well.. it`s simple, you don`t like MS products don`t use them, and you have nothing to complain. I personally don`t go on Linux news/boards and start bitching about it for the things i don`t like or use that product.
"Low resource consumption". What the hell are you talking about there? The same bullshit was said by Windows 98 users when XP came to market. Unless you lived till now under a rock even a phone has 1 GB of Ram... your computer should have with ease above that point to be sufficient for a Win7 or 8.

And Windows 8 is worse than 7? Letting aside few things like missing start button (many actually find this better, some hate is so much that they will slash their wrists for it) and few other bullshit things for tablets that MS tried to put in, Windows 8 actually performs better than 7. Yes, price is high but the rest is total bullshit.

MSDOS had no bluescreens at all .. why the hell did people ever stopped using it... and why isn`t MS supporting it anymore ?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
90% of these responses are STUPID. Why in the world should MS support some relic old OS. It's time to upgrade people, at least to Windows7 (don't make your life suck by going to Win8). People can keep XP, just don't expect any more fixes and patches by MS.... you are on your own, I'm frankly they supported it this long.

If XP is so insecure and outdated but people like it so much and want to stick with it. Why doesn't MS just make Windows 9 look and feel exactly like XP when it comes out? Just make it with modern security, technologies and automation behind the scenes.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Its about the User experience. And the User experience with Windows 8 is profoundly negative. Those people upgrading from XP have upgraded from Win 3.11 to Win 95 to Win 98 to Win XP and there they stayed, because frankly, it was a good OS. Win 8 upgrade is jarring. Its not a better experience, its not a seemless migration with little or no training to use it. Its counter-intuitive.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

It wasn't on the box, but is was in the TOS that you agreed to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/lifecycle

In fact support should have ended 3 years ago, MS only support their operating systems for 10 years, meaning all the support you were entitled to ended in 2011. MS have extended this support for an additional 3 years completely free of charge.

And yet you still complain....

mapesdhs

Distinguished
MS' problem is that a lot of industrial users simply do not need anything more
than what XP already provides. MS' business model depends on continuous
upgrades, but this contradicts how many industrial processes are maintained.
In many cases proprietory sw simply will not run on anything newer, and a
company has no means to change this.

Funny how different it is in other industries. BAe told me they have to provide
support services for their systems for at least 50 years, sometimes 75 years,
perhaps even longer for systems being developed now. I met the guy in charge
of the management programme for collating the sw/hw archive items required,
quite a challenge.

Those here insisting people upgrade just because their system is old really
do amuse me. What right does anyone have to force someone to upgrade?

Just a pity that these OS releases were so buggy in the first place, yet each
time nobody seems to care, MS is given cart blanche to continue releasing
versions of Windows stuffed full of security flaws.

IMO they peaked with Win7. I've certainly no intention of using anything newer.

Ian.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
The curse of making a product that is just too successful. MS hit a homerun with XP once they fixed all the bugs. It was stable, attractive, effective and as close to perfection as MS has come.

In a Utopian world MS would simply bite the financial bullet and indefinitely support and protect XP, but this ain't Utopia and without profits, businesses disappear and when that happens, we not only lose the new, but any hope of support for their old products.

A decade is an inconceivably long time in the tech world. Nothing wrong with MS telling it's customers, it's time to move on.

Windows 7 is outstanding and now that I have adjusted to the flat appearance of 8 and 8.1, I have absolutely no complaints.

Change is inevitable and especially so in the tech world.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I think for most of the pc's still on windows xp outside of replacing them altogether switching to linux may be their best bet, its cheaper and it will actually run on weak pc's where newer windows would not. Staying on xp is indeed a bad option.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I have sold a few windows 8 systems customers brought them back, they hated it so far only 1 customer kept his system so i don't stock anything with windows 8 only windows 7.
As for XP being less secure that is a load of BS i have cleaned quite a few win8 and win7 systems, the only thing that is not secure is Java and flash as long as users and web designers continue to use them all windows os's will have a security problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.