Microsoft, Yahoo Enter 10-year Search Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
So Google and Yahoo want to make a deal and the FTC goes all batshit crazy... now Microsoft and Yahoo strike a deal and not a peep... ???

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
"The deal between the Yahoo! and Microsoft only cover search and advertising, as the companies' web properties and products, email, instant messaging, and display advertising will remain separate."

Thank God! MS won't be able to fuck up my yahoo email that I've had for over a dozen years. Whew, relieved! (GMail just isn't the same)

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Now I have not tried bing but honestly I don't see myself switching from Google.

Until the day Google stops returning the results I need when I run a search I see no reason to. Add all of the bells and whistles you want but its the results and ease of use that matters to me.

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]mtyermom[/nom]So Google and Yahoo want to make a deal and the FTC goes all batshit crazy... now Microsoft and Yahoo strike a deal and not a peep... ???[/citation]
Well one would have created a company that had 90% of the ad services on the internet, the other only33% or so.

You need to separate arms of a company and not sit there and think because a company like MS controls 90 of software that it would create a anti-trust issue by gaining market share against google which controls 66% of all searches.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom]aft_lizard01[/nom]Well one would have created a company that had 90% of the ad services on the internet, the other only33% or so. You need to separate arms of a company and not sit there and think because a company like MS controls 90 of software that it would create a anti-trust issue by gaining market share against google which controls 66% of all searches.[/citation]

Excellent rebuttal, thank you.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I think Yahoo really got a good deal here. I've found Bing to give better results than Yahoo search. An if they are going to rely on Bing for 10 years it absolutely makes since that they would hand over their technology to Bing so they can fully benefit from the deal. I like this arrangement much better than Microsoft buying or merging Yahoo.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
While i'm not going to give up google but the partnership between yahoo and microsoft are going to benefit the consumers. I'm all for it and plus I got Firefox and several add-on to removed all of the pesky ads.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Whether people want to admit it or not, Microsoft is playing the 'AMD' role with regards to Google right now. They are keeping Google honest, and forcing them to innovate. This puts Microsoft in a de facto position of influence in the search world at 33-'ish'%. Unlike Yahoo!, M$ seems determined to make inroads into this market, where Yahoo! seems to have been standing almost still since renovating Yahoo! mail.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]freak77power[/nom]Yahoo and Gmail suck especially GMail.[/citation]

And Windows Live Mail is great? It's slower than running snot in the Antarctic in the dead of winter.

I like the *old* Yahoo mail interface. It was decent, did the job, and was fast.

None are super, but Windows Live Mail is a joke.

BTW, I gotta find out if Google has a travel thing like Yahoo. Time to snip the purse strings to Yahoo Travel now that they've teamed up with he who is HailStorm ( aka - looney tunes Ballmer)

Flameout

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]fliponthetele[/nom]"...real consumer choice in a market currently dominated by a single company," said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.Oh, the irony.[/citation]
lol +1

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]I think Yahoo really got a good deal here. I've found Bing to give better results than Yahoo search. An if they are going to rely on Bing for 10 years it absolutely makes since that they would hand over their technology to Bing so they can fully benefit from the deal. I like this arrangement much better than Microsoft buying or merging Yahoo.[/citation]

I agree. I actually stopped using Google and use Bing now (everyone turns and looks at me weird)... :) I just don't like Google's privacy policies as well.

I find that Bing's web searches are about as good as Google but for picture searches, Bing is far superior.

And Yahoo Mail is rock solid, even after the 10 years I've been using it.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I think the search war has just begun but google is clearly dominating at this point. Still with GPU accelerated search clusters you could see more intelligent search engines on the server side emerging. Remember good search index is more about analyzing the data then actually retrieving the data.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I think the commercial (TV ad) for this new merger should be Bollywood's current new trendy music from Slum Dog Millionaire, "Ji Ho", call it "Bing Hoo", with the same instrumental but modified lyrics.

xenorage

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Want to talk about the irony, next year you are going to have people running Google Chrome OS logging into Yahoo to use Microsoft's web search.

Tell someone that five years ago and they would have said you are insane and that you needed to be rushed to the local loony bin!

Status
Not open for further replies.