Microsoft's Cortana Will Make You Keep Your Emailed Promises

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How about option to turn Cortana completely off so we can get back our Windows Search.

Headline of this article should be. Microsoft will improve Cortana to more effectively spy on you.

G

People have no idea how deep this spyware crap is integrated into Windows 10. Anything you say, type or fart is being sent.

Scrotus

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I have absolutely no use whatsoever for Cortana and all I want is the capability to remove it completely from my computer. Just give me the ability to search for a file on my machine and that is all I need. Google works just fine searching for anything on line.

OMG! She can hear me when I fart? For realz?

giphy.gif

G

I understand that some people like Cortana and they want to use it. And it is cool for Microsoft to do whatever they do with it but really how about nice option which says OFF and she is completely gone including message do you still want me to get you know.

Cortana: I have noticed you have been rather gassy the last few days.
Cortana: I took the liberty of making a reminder for your Mother and Girlfriend to buy you a few bottles of Tums.
Cortana: You have not been to the gym in a while. Would you like me to cancel your gym membership?

See Cortana can be helpful

:)

Tanyac

Reputable
...Microsoft has mollified these concerns by requiring people to give Cortana access to their communications...

Huh? This is contradicting itself. Mollify means to appease or reduce the impact of. How is "requiring" people to give Cortana access to everything appeasing the privacy concerns?

Or am I not reading that statement correctly?

So, does that mean there is absolutely no way you can completely disable and/or uninstall Cortana?

damn, I'm glad I haven't upgraded to Windows 10. Another nail in the coffin for W10.

philipemaciel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I would trade all that development effort for MS fixing simple bugs in W10 Mobile (like Edge not closing tabs, and showing "ghost tabs" which do not work).

The data flow:
1. Your PC's Cortana agent sends an unencrypted copy of your email to microsoft
2. Microsoft servers use machine learning alogrithms against your email
3. Microsoft servers create a reminder and send it back to your PC
4. Microsoft does ** NOT ** use your email contents for any other purposes. Really. And there is ** NO ** way your privacy is compromised by having your emails on Microsofts servers in the clear. They will not collect information you, your friends and your family this way, nor is any government agency involved in examining the content of the emails.

Be careful what you joke about in email.

I can see lawsuits arising from this. Especially if Cortana pops up a reminder containing confidential, private, &c information . Which it automatically generated. In front of somebody whom should not have that information.

dstarr3

Distinguished

It's the principle of the thing. Data collection like this, for whatever purpose, should be opt-in, not opt-out. Furthermore, there should be a proper ability to opt-out, which right now, there isn't. You can't turn off the data collection, all you can do is make it invisible to the user.

WristSlittinBlues

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
Can't be more excited to have MS find YET ANOTHER way to snoop in on me, and that they've packaged their new method of spying as a fancy tech thingy, which, as everything else MS-Windows I'd have to spend a few hours googling to disable, makes my day!

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
There are multiple ways to disable cortana, I've had it disabled since I got on Win 10. I've disabled completely via group policy but you can choose how much to disable. Just google disable cortana.

The sad part is I tried very hard to make it understood, that win10 sends a copy of everything you do on your computer to Microsoft.
This was back BEFORE it was generally available. We were still on the preview builds.
The reaction I got from people,You must be some nut job, tin foil hat wearing, paranoid conspiracy freak.

NOW we all know that win10 is the worst adware/spyware ever to make it on to a computer.
And guess what?? Since you willfully gave your information to Microsoft, the police,FBI,CIA,NSA etc... can have all of your information without a warrant. They just have to ask Microsoft for it, no warrant needed!
And if you have a windows phone, they get all of your contacts,call log, location when calls were made etc...Plus, if you use the finger scanner they get a copy of your finger prints. Since it suggests you scan several fingers just in case. Which most people do.

Kind of seems like win10 was made by the NSA and given to microsoft to distribute.

A little known program can turn off almost all of the spying.
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Status
Not open for further replies.