Microsoft's Free Anti-Malware Product is Out Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So how long until the Justice Department steps in and breaks up Microsoft?

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
"When the Beta launched, neither Symantec nor McAfee batted an eyelid."

"Janice Chaffin, Symantec's Consumer division president, said that Morro is basically a stripped down version of OneCare"

attacking a free product seems like worry to me. it should come with Windows 7 for the old people that don't know that they can get free AV protection from Panda, AVG, and a dozen other products that don't rape your wallet like Norton.

Providing a stripped down version for free? I suppose it is better than nothing. However, I for one would rather go with either a more reputable free option or a paid subscription. No stripped down protection for me.

As for the microsoft comment: Doubtful. MS knows how to walk the line rather well by now. In any case, they aren't the worst corporation out there by far.

cbigfoot

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
They better be worried I have switched ALL my computers at my house to security essentials. it is the ONLY antivirus that i have EVER had that was able to clean up a computer hevily infected. it kicks nortons, symantec corporate, mcafee, avgs, and any ones butt the only other antivirus i would recommend would be webroot. As long as Microsoft hasnt messed up this version then i will continue to ONLY use security essentials

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
hoping for a test on tom's to see how it fares vs. other free solutions such as AVG Free, MBAM, etc.

i'm open-minded at this point. hey yes it's free software from M$, but they have actually delivered a number of neat and useful free tools (e.g., SyncToy).

G

well i can say this about norton it has saved my machine on more than a few occasions. but i will give the microsoft one a try to see how it is. plus its always good to have multiple scanners.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Quote: Janice Chaffin, Symantec's Consumer division president, said that Morro is basically a stripped down version of OneCare. "A full Internet security suite is what consumers require today to stay fully protected,"

Or just run Linux or buy a Mac, enough said.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
This could just be part of a larger marketing movement by Microsoft to maintain market share against Apple. I wouldn't be surprised to see, "I'm a PC" TV ads featuring Windows 7 with "Automatic Malware Prevention."

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I half-expect a lawsuit to be filed tomorrow by Norton and McAfee with the eventual outcome being a vote option to uninstall Microsoft's free anti-Malware product and including links to Norton's and McAfee's sites for their offerings.

G

McAfee said it remained confident in its ability to compete with "anyone who might enter the marketplace."
It's funny in that McAffee has been for a long time one of the worst security programs out there, full of holes, and endlessly slow consuming about 3 to 5times the resources some competitors did.

My experiences with McAfee stem from around 1999.. 10 years ago, but they where so bad, I never used it again. I don't know if they've gotten any better since.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
"Try Morro! It's Morronic!"

Sorry, I couldn't hold that one. Seriously, I'm gonna try it out tonight at home. I use AVG so expect the same "basic" protection. "A full Internet security suite is not what I require", but I understand that it might not be the same for the average user.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]I don't know if they've gotten any better since.[/citation]They haven't. I've been forced to you various forms of it at work and school and it is a pig compared to anything I use at home.

The pay-to-scan anti-virus companies aren't worried because they have Best Buy and other stores on there side. Why would Best Buy advertise that you DON'T need anti-virus for a PC when they can sell you one saying the free solution is crap. Not to mention they are embedded in countless companies that are so slow to change things they are still using IE6.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I'm also going to troll in favor of Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Nod32 as my favorite solutions. I tried to rely on free products for a while but there is always something the keeps me from encouraging others to use them, you need to know WHAT has been striped down from the full version to known how much you can rely on it, now, I know I cant, I know many of you here can... but certainly not everybody...

Also, I have to tip my hat to MS who launched a very bad product 3 years ago but, without anybody noticing, have ramped it up to slightly above average (Slightly above Symantec and mcafee) in less than 2 years. Check how one care scored on Virus bulletin and West coast labs... you might be surprised.

McAfee and Norton are definitely resource hogs, but they do work. (used both but now use Avast)

Avast is free and I have no problems at all, and well maybe I use the right security settings on my box(es) so I dont have to worry about too much stuff, IE. host files, proxy, etc. etc. you get the point.

But I will actually try this out to see what it has to offer, albeit I probably wont use it indefeinitely.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Yeah and those "free" anti-virus programs are fucking horrible. They do not even compare to fee-based anti-virus programs. Kaspersky is, in my opinion, the best anti-virus and software-based consumer grade firewall available.Sure, there are some other fee-based anti-virus programs that perform at least as well as Kaspersky, but I have the least amount of trouble when using Kaspersky. Of course, you can keep on thinking those shitty, free anti-virus programs work, but you just let me know how things are going when you actually get attacked.[/citation]

i have been using avast for 3 yrs now...i live on torrent and hacker sites, have picked up supsicious files and viruses, and avast stopped them all (even stuff that slips right by avg, mcaffee, norton, and one that actually made it past kapersky)... i know it is not the highest ranked free antivirus, but it has been very reliable. ill try M$'s offering once i get a comparason review of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS