Microsoft's Windows for Thin PCs Hits RC Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
There was also a version for XP. I've been testing the various releases and the stuff you can remove is fantastic, but the options are sometimes less than obvious so TESTING would be essential for anyone considering an install. The option to 'return' a computer to a fresh state after a restart is fantastic, especially for those people that like to 'browse' 'those' types of sites infected with malware.

I'm wunderin' how this might play on the Zacate/Brazos APUs and the Atom. The WP says ....

Can I run applications on Windows Thin PC?
Yes, you can only run applications that fall into one of the following
categories:
• Remote desktop clients
• Management
• Security
• Media players

I'd say that's good :)

Daniel Smedegaard Buus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
So, even the Big Gorilla is finally realizing that having development virtues such as "be as lean as possible, always" is actually of value?

It's all about best practices. We're seeing a retarded OS built by retarded developers starting to adhere to best practice. Decades since... Well, since nothing, because some people were adhering to best practices all along. Like why is Android Linux based.

So, well done, Monkeysoft, well done. You're starting to adhere to best practices. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is using best-practice platforms to build new ideas.

Good luck!

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
You do realize that when you run over 90% of the consumer computer market and have to maintain backwards compatibility for a couple decades' worth of software and hardware it isn't always possible to be "lean".

People bitch about Windows having "bloat" then bitch when IE9 won't work on XP. Do you want MS to push things forward and create newer, thinner, modular operating systems or do you want support for 15 year old hardware and software?

You can't always have both.

Saxie81

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]You do realize that when you run over 90% of the consumer computer market and have to maintain backwards compatibility for a couple decades' worth of software and hardware it isn't always possible to be "lean".People bitch about Windows having "bloat" then bitch when IE9 won't work on XP. Do you want MS to push things forward and create newer, thinner, modular operating systems or do you want support for 15 year old hardware and software?You can't always have both.[/citation]

this is why we have virtual machines. I don't always need for my software to be compatible with my software from 15 years ago. I really wish they would streamline the OS...But this locked down garbage is not what I am looking for

"Yes, you can only run applications that fall into one of the following
categories:
• Remote desktop clients
• Management
• Security
• Media players
However, you cannot run any productivity applications, such as
Microsoft Office and similar applications."

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
So, is this just regular Windows 7 with less bloat and installation restrictions? Also, what price range does this type of software run? Think it might be perfect for my old laptop, since all I do on it is browse the web. Would speed things up alot from XP I think.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Daniel Smedegaard Buus[/nom]S We're seeing a retarded OS built by retarded developers starting to adhere to best practice. Decades since... Well, since nothing, because some people were adhering to best practices all along. Like why is Android Linux based.So, well done, Monkeysoft, well done. You're starting to adhere to best practices. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is using best-practice platforms to build new ideas.Good luck![/citation]

What an idiotic post! This was also available for Windows XP so it's NOTHING NEW!

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Saxie81[/nom]However, you cannot run any productivity applications, such as Microsoft Office and similar applications."[/citation]

? While testing Office and Plants Vs Zombies ran just fine thanks ?

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]saljen[/nom]So, is this just regular Windows 7 with less bloat and installation restrictions? Also, what price range does this type of software run? Think it might be perfect for my old laptop, since all I do on it is browse the web. Would speed things up alot from XP I think.[/citation]

No, you can 'set' install restrictions if you like. you have choices as it's not set in stone. Also, the default install does not restrict ANYTHING from being installed and kept, exactly like Win7.

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
[citation][nom]Saxie81[/nom]this is why we have virtual machines. I don't always need for my software to be compatible with my software from 15 years ago. I really wish they would streamline the OS...But this locked down garbage is not what I am looking for "Yes, you can only run applications that fall into one of the following categories:• Remote desktop clients• Management• Security• Media playersHowever, you cannot run any productivity applications, such as Microsoft Office and similar applications."[/citation]

Virtual machines are not an efficient answer for the consumer market, and don't address the legacy hardware problem.

The thin windows version is specifically for thin clients, dumb terminals, blah blah. Basically Bobby Cubicle remoting into a server to run business apps.

I'm with you in hoping Win8 goes the efficient, modular route. Fingers crossed!

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
OK, they took Vista SP3, I mean 7 and stripped it down, zzzzz. The Aero Direct x hog will probably be gone or if they are smart they will start using Open GL or Open CL.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]".People bitch about Windows having "bloat" then bitch when IE9 won't work on XP. Do you want MS to push things forward and create newer, thinner, modular operating systems or do you want support for 15 year old hardware and software?You can't always have both.[/citation]

Unix based OS's are modular, ones like Linux or OS X and one reason they are more secure and better overall. For Microbloat to go modular they would have to drop their NSA co-authored proprietary OS and join the rest of the world, not going to happen..

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Wyse terminals makes these thin pc's using via processors. I would predict that there would make cheaper Thin pc's in windows 8 using ARM processors.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]osserc[/nom]Do you want MS to push things forward and create newer, thinner, modular operating systems or do you want support for 15 year old hardware and software?You can't always have both.[/citation]

Yes you can. It's called OOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS