G

I am looking for info on the MB by MSI 5156 V 1.2. I am considering upgrading it but need to know what speed AMD-CPU's) it can handle. ANyone steering me to any info would be greatly appreciated.

G

The ms5156 had a tx chipset. THe best you do is put in a pentium 233.

For the memory, you could use dimms or simms.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get 6x bus speed for any standard AMD K6-2 over 350 by setting the multiplier to 2x and the processor type to P55C. While BIOS might say 133 (2x66), the processor understands it as 400 (6x66) and effectively becomes an overdrive. The best voltage setting is 2.2v, but the standard 2.8v Intel MMX core voltage is tolerated if lower settings are unavailable. If you can adjust the bus from 66 to 75 you can get the K6-2 to 450, and to 500 at 83. To verify your results you can use wcpuid or other testing programs, but it does work, and it actually works better than other boards that were made for the K6-2 because the Intel chipset has fewer compatability/stability issues. The processor can be had for under $50.
I have sold systems with this settup and have had no warrantee returns. If you feel uncomfortable with these voltage settings, you can get a processor with resistors added from www.evertech.com for a little more.

Suicide is painless...........

G

I'm not sure the 5156 supports the dual-voltage required for K62's.

G

My system is an Inteva with the Microstar 5156 and an Intel 430TX chipset. It already has a 233MHZ CPU and everything I can find (on MSI) says that is already beyond what it is designed for.

Crashman--can I push it further? Say to 350? What about overheating? ANy additional reqs there?

One last question--THe MB manual says that to add 168 Pin DIMMS to the 4X16 SIMMS one needs to find a 128MB DIMM that has 5 volts? How can you tell from the description of the DIMMS if they are 5 volts?

G

I don't think it's worth beating that board to death. If you want better, get a new m/b. Use the old one for Linux.

I read somewhere that the simm voltages and the dimm voltages are different. If you mix them you could have problems. Trying to find the right dimms may cost you more than a new m/b.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do not use dimms. The board to my knowlege uses EDO dimms. If it does support SDRAM, it would be an old style that has not been on the market for years.
If your 233 is set up correctly (that is, at MMX voltages, 2.8v Core), the K6-2 of ANY speed over 350 will work. But at 66MHz system buss, the only option you will have is 400MHz. This is because of the previously mentioned 2x mutiplier being translated as 6x by the processor. If your manual shows that you can get 75MHz out of it, you can get 450 by doing that. If it shows you can get 83MHz out of it, you can get 500 out of it by doing that. The easiest way is to just pop out the 233 and pop in a 400, then set the multiplier to 2x and your done.
Before you install the processor, go to
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=486#486
and download the windows 95 update and install it. This is not needed for win98 or 2k.

Suicide is painless...........