Microstutter + Stutter EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW

Aug 16, 2018
I've been having a stuttering problem in almost every game I play that ranges from just one short stutter every once in a while to several in a row at certain times. It's not a constant stutter and mostly seems to happen when moving and loading new things in a game, not usually while standing still. I've been having these issues in games like Monster Hunter World and GTA V which seems like I should be able to run fine at max with these specs. Even in Overwatch I'll get some microstutters at random.

I've already tried:
-Reinstalling Windows 10
-Using DDU to clean up graphics drivers and reinstalling them
-Rolling back to earlier graphics drivers
-Using a different hard drive
-Testing RAM
-Setting Max Performance in power options and Nvidia Control Panel
-Trying with Vsync on and adaptive
-Making sure GPU and CPU aren't overheating
-Setting program priority to High
-Game DVR and Game Mode are disabled
-Windows Timer Resolution tool

The CPU, RAM, and Motherboard are fairly new with the graphics card being bought in 2016 which makes me think if it's a hardware problem, it's probably that part. It's still under warranty so I've been thinking about maybe sending it in to be checked out but I want to be absolutely sure before having it sent away for a week.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW (Not Overclocked)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K at 3.70ghz
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-A LGA1151 DDR4 ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

Solution
I have identical spec save for a EVGA 1080 SC and OS mounted on a Plextor M5 Pro 128GB. However I also have my page file set to 9000 MB on my SSD. I also use Nvidia Inspector instead of NCP because it has driver level optimizations for every game, an option to Force On Vsync in games that resist external Vsync, and a Prefer maximum performance option in each game's Power management setting that automatically returns Windows to Balanced power when you exit the game.

PCGamingWiki mentions two tweaks for stutter.

1. If you have Razer Synapse installed, close or delete it's RzSurroundVADStreamingService service.

2. Disable the custom radio option

Source: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V#Stuttering_during_gameplay

If...
I have identical spec save for a EVGA 1080 SC and OS mounted on a Plextor M5 Pro 128GB. However I also have my page file set to 9000 MB on my SSD. I also use Nvidia Inspector instead of NCP because it has driver level optimizations for every game, an option to Force On Vsync in games that resist external Vsync, and a Prefer maximum performance option in each game's Power management setting that automatically returns Windows to Balanced power when you exit the game.

PCGamingWiki mentions two tweaks for stutter.

1. If you have Razer Synapse installed, close or delete it's RzSurroundVADStreamingService service.

2. Disable the custom radio option

Source: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V#Stuttering_during_gameplay

If this does not work, try disabling any overlays you're running, Steam overlay, OSD for tools like Afterburner, etc.

Solution

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Also try a different port for your mouse and keyboard on your motherboard. I have seen peripherals cause weird anomalies including stuttering. Better to check everything and not assume something so trivial can cause issues. Try a cheap $10/$20 mouse/keyboard from your local store, if that doesn't resolve the issue take it back for a refund, no money spent and back to troubleshooting.

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Also don't put any processes to High priority, leave on normal. Put all programs back to default. Don't install any other software except the nvidia drivers and motherboard drivers and test. If no stuttering at that point add one program at a time and test. Eventually you'll find the culprit.

My specs:
• i7 4820k (not overclocked)
• GTX 1070 SC (not overclocked but fans set to 60% with EVGA Precision)
• Nvidia driver: 384.xx I don't like the newest driver as it will not throttle the gpu down when not in use, at least for me. So I went back to 384 as that will allow me to run BF1.
• Mem: 32GB DDR3 1866