Question Microstuttering after SSD install ?

Jan 2, 2023
3 weeks ago I got an RX 6600. Everything worked fine, no microstutters, no jaggy camera movement, nothing. Overwatch 2 , which is the main problem now, was working perfectly smooth.After installing an SSD and reinstalling windows on it, beside the tearing which I was getting before, I started getting weird moments (2-3 seconds) where my camera moves like my fps goes to 50, even though its not, even with 130+FPS . Used a monitoring software and there are no bad frametimes, nothing spiking beyond normal, and framerate doesnt drop whatsoever. I think that is microstuttering. Before the SSD installation, and windows reinstallation, My pc was performing as it should, without microstuttering (even with the new RX 6600, which I guess isnt to blame).

SPECS: i5 10400f, RX 6600 8GB, 16 GB (single-channel, but surely not the reason as it was working fine before SSD), H410M-HDV mobo, Seasonic S12III 550W.

Things I've tried:

1. used a win11 debloater
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced

2. Disabling HPET & gaming dvr and all the xbox settings & also power options to high performance.
Reinstalled video drivers (AMD Adrenalin) with DDU, reinstalled older versions, still the same stuttering AND all drivers, from motherboard's site and IObit Driver.
sfc scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth to no avail.

3. Reinstalled windows:
a. on HDD without SSD , same result, so it's not caused by SSD.
b. on SSD without HDD, same result.
c. also used old GTX 960, same result, so it's not GPU nor drivers.
+ 3 more times and also reinstalled an older windows version, the one that worked fine, still nothing.

4. XMP is on. Every BIOS setting is same as before, when the pc worked fine (prior to SSD). Tried different HDMI cable.

Literally everything went wrong after the windows reinstallation.
Benchmarked CPU and GPU separately. Everything is ok. Also SSD and HDD are ok.

I am going to upload a video from Overwatch 2 in some minutes and a benchmark.
Also, I get weird stutters even in windows. Browser stutters like hell when outside of monitor screen and mouse sometimes jumps..

Benchmark: Asrock H410M-HDV Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

H410M-HDV mobo
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Seasonic S12III 550W
How old is the PSU in your build?

After installing an SSD and reinstalling windows on it
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

16 GB (single-channel, but surely not the reason as it was working fine before SSD),
Got a link to that lone stick of ram?

3 weeks ago I got an RX 6600.
What GPU did you have prior to the RX6600 and for how long did the PSU in your build power the older discrete GPU?

Jan 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

H410M-HDV mobo
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Seasonic S12III 550W
How old is the PSU in your build?

After installing an SSD and reinstalling windows on it
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

16 GB (single-channel, but surely not the reason as it was working fine before SSD),
Got a link to that lone stick of ram?

3 weeks ago I got an RX 6600.
What GPU did you have prior to the RX6600 and for how long did the PSU in your build power the older discrete GPU?
My bios version is P1. 30 (as I checked it is the latest non beta version.
The PSU is 2 years old. Installer was from Windows official site, then from Rufus.
The ram is a 2666 MHz HyperX ddr4(can't find it) and I had a GTX 960 which I used for a year.

Asrock H410M-HDV Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Jan 2, 2023
S12III 550W very unstable and poor quality PSU. Not even made by SEASONIC. Production was outsourced on that model series. Should be replaced.
I might upgrade it in the near future, but I bet it's not caused by the PSU, because 3 weeks ago it had no problem whatsoever. And also the power draw from my components aren't above 550W i think.

Jan 2, 2023
For example games run fine with vsync on. RDR2 is fine with vsync, but without it runs like the frame changes every 0.5 seconds, not smooth at all ( i guess tearing or whatevs, even though i have close to 60 fps ingame so there shouldnt really be a big diff between my monitor hz and fps ). Death Stranding runs well, with vsync as I've seen and feels choppy without, but not as bad as overwatch. Valorant has the same problem as overwatch tho.
Thinking it could be a monitor thing, but I am curious why this didnt happen before installing the SSD, as the pc was the same, only without an SSD...

!!! Just found out, motion blur made my game smoother, without it, it feels choppy even with vsync..

Last edited: