I'll start by putting my specs :
AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
32go ram
nvidia gtx 1070
457.30 driver version
AOC 2590G4 144hz - 1080 - G-SYNC
Xp pen artist 15.6 pro 60hz - 1080
Windows 10 64bit
I use VoiceMeeter Banana (it happens that my sound gets distorted and i need to restart the audio driver)

I've been searching for a solution for that issue for a couple of days now and unfortunately i wasn't able to find any.

[ISSUE]
It concerns a microstutter that i get constantly every 0.5 sec everywhere meaning games, windows, photoshop. The only place where i don't get the microstutter is while i move with the firefox navigator. I've done a system recovery scan in safe mode, run malwarebytes, ccleaner, latency monitor (it detected issues with dxgkrnl.sys and wdf01000.sys.).

I've made a quick clip of the issue in APEX. The issue is the same even in windows while moving the mouse or explorer or drawing in photoshop.
Clip : https://streamable.com/vg88dl

The only time where i noticed the microstutter went away was when i did a clean uninstall of the graphics driver. When i was in windows, the mouse or explorer, photoshop wasn't microstuttering anymore. After i reinstalled the driver the issue came back. Which leads me to think that the issue comes from the graphics driver.

[TRIED BUT DIDN'T WORK]
  • I did a clean graphic driver uninstall and reinstall with DDU.
  • I tried to run both monitors at the same frequency but it didn't help.
  • I tried to play with graphic settings in the nvidia control panel.
  • I tried to turn off and on G-SYNC.
  • I did set in the "Adjust desktop size and position" to "no scaling" and to "perform scaling on GPU" on both monitors.
  • I did setup the ultimate performance in the power options.
  • Disable wallpaper engine.
I would really appreciate your help as i'm really frustrated by this issue. I have a really sensitive eye for movement and the microstuttering is killing me.

Thanks

Solution
This is a common occurrence with multi monitor setups with different native refresh rates = frame buffer desync.
The most concrete solutions are to:
1)Plug main monitor into the gpu, and the secondary monitor into the motherboard.
Unfortunately, this won't work for you as the Ryzen 1600X doesn't have an integrated gpu.

2)Use monitors with the same native refresh rates.

The only other thing I can think to try is to update your motherboard's lan and audio drivers, and if that doesn't work, then it's back to #2.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is a common occurrence with multi monitor setups with different native refresh rates = frame buffer desync.
1)Plug main monitor into the gpu, and the secondary monitor into the motherboard.
Unfortunately, this won't work for you as the Ryzen 1600X doesn't have an integrated gpu.

The only other thing I can think to try is to update your motherboard's lan and audio drivers, and if that doesn't work, then it's back to #2.

Reactions: Khanatox
Solution
Nov 24, 2020

Thank you Phaaze88,

It seems that you're unfortunately right. It goes away only if i unplug the hmdi of my secondary screen that has lower hz. I suppose that the other option is to buy another graphic card for the secondary screen that i suppose doesn't need to be that powerful as the one i have for my main screen.

Nov 24, 2020
I totally forgot - that IS an option too. You could pop in a GT 1030 or something similar, that doesn't require external power connections.

Awesome! Could you please advise me if this one is good enough? ASUS GT710-SL-1GD5 or GIGABYTE GeForce GT 710 2GB

I don't really know how it's functioning and if it will have an impact on performance. I tend to use photoshop more often on the secondary screen that which is performance heavy.

Thank you!

Nov 24, 2020
I had to look it up, because I'm not familiar with it - and found this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html
GT 710 does not look too good for that; it's pretty low on the list. GT 1030 is better, but not quite there either.
GTX 1050/TI or GTX 1650 look to be more adequate for that application.

Thank you for your help. In that case it's almost the same as to buy a new monitor. I guess that for now i'll switch one of the screen off in function of the use i'll need. Thanks a lot again for your help!