[SOLVED] Microstuttering/FPS drops in high CPU usage games

El Vato

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
I have recently decided to upgrade my old AIO water cooler from a Corsair H100i V2 to a H150i Pro. And after doing so, I have noticed that I am now getting random FPS dips in games like RE2 Remake and R6 Siege (which are CPU intensive). The stutters are very short but the fps drop is significant (usually drops from about 144+ fps to 90+ and then rises back up), and it occurs even if I turn down all my graphics settings within the game. This only started happening after replacing my AIO and both these games are installed on my Samsung 960 Pro NVME SSD. At first I thought the latest Windows 10 update may have caused it, but now I am not sure since none of my friends have been having issues. I am thinking it could be the CPU temps but they actually don't get much higher than 60 C with this new AIO. Any thoughts?

Specs:
Mobo: Asus Z170 Premium
CPU: i7 6700K (Slight OC to 4.4 GHz)
RAM: G. Skil Trident Z 16 GB (4000 MHz)
GPU: Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro (1 TB), WD Black (2 TB)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i

Solution
I'd reinstall the CPU in its CPU socket and redo the thermal paste. Then when you mount the cooler, make sure you aren't absolutely cranking it down hard.

El Vato

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
I'd reinstall the CPU in its CPU socket and redo the thermal paste. Then when you mount the cooler, make sure you aren't absolutely cranking it down hard.
I went ahead and cleaned off the thermal paste that came with the AIO (I don't know why I even left it on there) and applied my own Arctic MX-4. And so far the stuttering seems to be gone. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS