Question Microstutters / fps drops on Rx 580 + ryzen 5 2600

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
Hello everyone, i need help.. I have microsttuters and fps drops in some games.. i recorded whats happening on witcher 3 and fortnite. I got recently installed newest windows and newest drivers,bios,chipsets. Tried different settings in radeon and capping fps and etc (doesnt really help) I get also random input lag in fortnite and my game doesnt run smooth under my monitor refresh rate 144.. . when microsttuterand fps drops happen my gpu usage and power seems to drop.. any idea what can cause that to happen.. i even uploaded few videos to show graphs about what's happening. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!! ( its not from my OC and nothing is overheating )
- witcher 3 tests. I have turned off windows game mode,xbox and put Ultimate power mode and other stuff that i found online and still nothing. Some games ran smooth like Forza horizon 4 on ultra without any problems (only at 1 part of a movie scene had 1 stutters everytime) but that was before the fresh install of windows (havent tried now) Edit: all parts are new(few months old) except power supply and HDD( 3-4 years old) And my windows and fortnite are on SDD which left only 5gb of it free - could that cause stutters? i tried moving fortnite once to hdd which has about 500gb free space and at that time the game became even worse but i was also messing with the drivers at that time.. Also BENCHMARKS seems to be running perfect even performing above people with same specs.. so its only in games i think

● CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (3950 OC)
● GPU: Gigabyte RX 580 8GB (1450/2200OC)
● RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB CL15 (2 x 8 GB) 3000MHz with XMP Profile 1
● MOBO: Gigabyte b450 aorus m + 600W power supply
●SSD Kingston a400 120GB + HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda
● AMD DRIVER: 19.12.3 + Windows 10 Pro 1909 (latest version)
● MONITOR: AOC C24G1 144hz Freesync on

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RyfGaUGwKc
-fortnite tests and
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JTIrJi_LiU

Last edited:

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
What make and model PSU?
Also that SSD is poor quality.

Cooler Master B-Series B600 PSU "RS-600-ACAB-D3, 80 plus White, 12V Single Rail Power Supply" 600W

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23293686 - here is one overall benchmark test ( my ssd is the only bad result ) and https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23289920 other time is better / here i tested my ram also.

i know my ssd is not the fastest but i just want my games to be smooth.. could it be because it has only 10Gb free space left and make my games stutter because of windows maybe? witcher 3 is on hdd but still get some stutters while fortnite gets higher on ssd.

You could use a better heatsink, the CPU will boost higher for longer and maybe won't stumble sending data to the GPU? Oh just saw a 2600 well then maybe you can OC to 4.1GHZ

I know everyone's like yay Ryzen's are great go AMD! but for 1080p gaming are they really that great?

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
You could use a better heatsink, the CPU will boost higher for longer and maybe won't stumble sending data to the GPU? Oh just saw a 2600 well then maybe you can OC to 4.1GHZ

I know everyone's like yay Ryzen's are great go AMD! but for 1080p gaming are they really that great?
my cpu usage rarely goes over 40-50% in games while my gpu is much higher.. i dont think its bottlenecking or something.. rx 580 + ryzen 2600 are good combo

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8z2b9g/ryzen_gaming_stutter_and_high_latency/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

Found this on Google. Looks like some helped by changing sound settings. Others apparently has issues with sleep. But computers do have issues at times.
hey, i tried the sound setting and some of the things from that topic and its still the same in fortnite while in witcher there is improvement i think, i played it for about 30min and had noticed only 1-2 microstutters at max settings. but still it happens a lot in fortnite which im actually playing many hours daily.

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
WIndows and game on SSD that have only 5 GB of free space left?

Ouch...!

FIx that ASAP!

Most recommend at least 15-20% of an SSD's space be left free....
well my witcher 3 is on the hdd and still gets some stutters so could that be too from the full ssd that has my windows on it? im thinking of getting another ssd 240gb of kingston a400, WD green or adata.

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
WIndows and game on SSD that have only 5 GB of free space left?

Ouch...!

FIx that ASAP!

Most recommend at least 15-20% of an SSD's space be left free....
Hey, i deleted the game from ssd and now it has 50% free space. Now in benchmarks i get good scores even for my ssd. Played witcher 3 for a few hours, gameplay seems to be much better, noticed only 1 micro sttuter meanwhile but in fortnite is the same (a lot of fps drops). The interesting thing i saw is that while im in game menus switching to other modes my fps drops a lot in fortnite and also in witcher 3 and my gpu and cpu usage and power drops too for a sec.. Lets forget about fortnite cuz its not good optimized i guess but in witcher 3 gameplay on max settings almost perfect but switching in my inventory to another menu seems to make microsttuters... What can be causing that?