Question Microswitches - soldering - pc mouse

demisor

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Good day everyone!

I was wondering if Cherry Switches DG13-B1AA would work to solder on a mouse PCB to repair the mouse? My mouse is starting to double click when i press once or doesn't register at all. I've searched for omron D2F-01 switches but they're either super expensive or unobtainable. I checked the dimensions of the DG13-B1AA switch and they're the same as the D2F-01 switch. However, i would like to know the opinion of someone with more knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure that I have "more knowledge" per se.

However I am sure that if the mouse is "double clicking" versus "single clicking" then you may have other options.

Make and model mouse?

Have you attempted or otherwise tried adjusting the mouse's double click speed?

Are the mouse driver's up to date and configured as you prefer?

What happens if you use another known working mouse or try the current mouse on another computer?

Key is to determine the real source of the problem.

Soldering may be a potential solution but only as a last resort when there is nothing left to lose should all else happen to go astray.

Reason being that very few products are made to be end user repairable - if repairable at all. That may be viable in some cases but overall done only at end user's risk.

Put only the mouse at risk. Nothing else.

I've searched for omron D2F-01 switches but they're either super expensive or unobtainable.
It looks like they are as little as a dollar each on ebay if you are willing to wait some weeks for them to arrive from China...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=D2F-01&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15

Or around $5 shipped from US sellers that will likely arrive faster, if you are in the US (make sure you get the same variant, as it looks like there are some versions with alternate switch designs)...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=D2F-01&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

You might also try carefully opening your existing switch and bending the little piece of metal a bit to adjust tension to potentially fix the issue.

demisor

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, the issue is due age of the mouse, i opened the switch once before and got it working again; it wasn't the same though, less clicky. I have found them on ebay but I don't want to wait a few weeks :D I'll take my chance and order the cherry switches and i'll let you know if it works! They will probably arrive only next week though but it's the fastest and cheapest option and i have a gut feeling they will work. Meanwhile, i'm using a cheap mouse I had lying around. Thanks for the input! Keep you posted!

demisor

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
They arrived already and I managed to get it to work (for a while). What happened is that they seemed to work but after a while, things started to act up (left click not working) when i unplugged and replugged the mouse it would stay clicked in, even though i hadn't clicked yet. I think I might have had some residual flux under the microswitches that are now shorting things out. The desoldering process with a copper wick was difficult too and I have damaged the soldering pads so i think another desoldering and soldering process will render the circuit useless. The switches would have worked if I hadn't been too careless seeing as they worked for a while. Conclusion: clean of your flux and be careful with the soldering pads; maybe opening the switches and replacing the metal latch would be a better option!

Last edited: