Microtransactions Temporarily Removed From 'Star Wars Battlefront II'

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
WTF is going on with this auto playing stupid video and from the web BS fakes posts. Is toms trying to get into suicide mission to lose all readers?

WildCard999

Titan
I think if they lower the amount need to unlock characters such as Vader then the community will be happier, maybe drop it down to 20 hours instead of 40 hours and at least some ppl won't mind the grind while others can spend all there money on crates if desired.

Pnutt79

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
They still don't get it. Its not the micro transactions that are the problem you idiots, its the ability for some people to use mommy's and daddy's wallet to jump ahead of everyone else because they dropped a 1000 bucks on crates. People want to test their skills vs other players skill not against other players wallets. To bad I had high hopes for this game, Sadly looks like I will be skipping this one.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Yea they drop it now because of all the bad publicity they have got over the way they are doing this. They will at a later date just enable it quietly and try to rake in the cash after they figure they sold enough copies of the game. The key word here is SOLD. If you pay for something you should not be expected to be placed in a pay wall system to buy more just to be able to either finish the game or be able to compete on the same level of playing field as some others that spent big bucks for all of the extra perks and crap. Now if the game was a free to play type game then heck yea make that pay wall work for yea.

Giroro

Splendid
So they are trying to trick people into buying a product, only to deliver something that will end being up entirely different?

Aren't bait-and-switch business practices like that illegal?

Immitem

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
I have not bought a single E.A. game since Battlefield 3. Why can't people just boycott their crap already?

PREACH!

This is marketing speak for: "People aren't going to buy the product because it has micro-transactions. Okay, we removed the micro-transactions, now buy the product. Once we've sold the projected number of units, we'll put the micro-transactions back in to continue revenue generation for the product beyond it's shelf sales."

Maybe the gaming industry has come to a point where gamers should be given the choice to filter and play with only those who have not paid for extra content or abilities, or perhaps two different versions of the product. One with micro-transactions and one without. I doubt publishers would be overly enthusiastic to do such a thing as it would directly decrease the demand for the micro-transactions in some players mindset, but players not interested in the micro-transactions would have one less reason to complain about them.

The problem as it stands now is, if you want to play a game with micro-transactions, but don't participate in the micro-transactions yourself, regardless of the reasons, you are still subjected to the in-game consequences of other people participating in the micro-transaction system.

Of course, I can already see publishers trying to raise the cost of the non-micro-transactional game rather than lowering the cost of a version including it, claiming they need to make up the lost revenue.

HaB1971

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Instead of admitting they got caught trying to bring genuine pay to win 2 to the game they back pedal and come out with this crap because of the backlash to just wait until the hubub has died down and they will bring it back again... stop giving money to these greedy bean counter developers.. hurt them in the wallet that is all they care about

Icehearted

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Disingenuous carefully worded backpedaling, my favorite. EA, as a company, has been doing this for decades, so I look at this as a sort of tolerance test, like Horse Armor. They saw what they could, or in this case, could not get away with, but they will try it again when they think customers will be more pliable.

A snake will always be a snake.

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
MILKOD2001 SAID:
WTF is going on with this auto playing stupid video and from the web BS fakes posts. Is toms trying to get into suicide mission to lose all readers?

Blame the parent company, Purch. They are letting pretty "meh" Native ads, that obnoxious content video with pre-roll ads, and Taboola-style crap like Revcontent. Their normal banner ads are just fine, and should bring in plenty of revenue. Too much, and bad for end-user experience. Purch is just acting like most publishers now a days, it's the lay of the land for ad revenue. Just look at how they describe their advertising:
http://www.purch.com/advertise/

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
EA continues to be horrible, no idea why people keep buying games from them. Crysis 3 was my last EA game and haven't bought one since. These pay to win or play crap after buying a 60 buck game is BS.

They get it just fine I think. If they can make it appear that they care for a moment it will allow the indignation fueled backlash to become old news, then they can go back to milking people. The problem is that a significant mass of gamers are the ones who created the conditions for this approach to occur in the first place. EA would never be doing such overt exploitation without it having been confirmed as a profitable business model that was feasible given the monetary response of gamers overall to date to such practices.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Getting tired of subscribtions. Pay out for 1 game, fine, but when ppl gotta pay out for multiple games that's annoying. So do you pay out for WoW, then chuck everything you worked for, or SWTOR and scratch that? Or spend out $400 a year just so you can play whatever you want, when you want. If I dropped $170 for the deluxe edition of SwBF, I'd expect not to have to spend further money just to play when I wanted. It's a damned cash cow. I'm in it to play, not to support the 'Pro' teams and EA giving out $millions for prize money.

One of the reasons I rarely come to Toms anymore. It lost its edge years ago. Anandtech, with its more indepth knowledge and reviews still has decorum though (for now).
I look at Toms Hardware as more of a "just seventeen" online magazine, with very few good-great writers left.

g-unit1111

Titan
People ask me why I don't do online MMORPGs like Battlefront and Overwatch, and it's for this very reason - game publishers are nickle and diming us to death anymore and I refuse to support that trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.