Micrsoft: XP's MS10-15 BSOD Caused by Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There is a rootkit going about computers lately, I have seen over 10 in the last week, infects either atapi.sys or the storage controller driver.. IE SISraid.sys, Iastor.sys ect ect.. causes the system to blue screen 7E error, which is usually related to hard drive corruption or corrupted drivers. Its quite possible that a computer is infected before the patch, and installing the patch interferes with the harmony the rootkit has with the system. could also be a combination of things.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Sounds like the fanboy "theory" that malware writers weren't aware and using this 17 year old undocumented hole was BS. Another fine counter-example of security by obscurity.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
micro$uxx at it's finest... if you still didn't got it, it's a (unwilling) feature to discover unknown malware, not a bug. m$ never makes mistakes, others are always to blame - especially those duped to use m$ crap. Just wintarded m$ fankiddies drool in awe at every "innovation" dumped out from redmond, and windblow's legendary "reliability", "security", "interoperability", and "compatibility", trumpeted non-stop by m$ marketingdroids, and the m$m shills.
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]It takes them 17 years to patch this exploit and when they finally do it they screw up. Do they need a century to get it right?[/citation]
they never will... it's plain futile. Just another link in the never ending chain... of "innovation".

G

One word... Ubuntu.
Yes. I do have a win7 PC, purely for games. It is for this exact reason I've jumped to the Linux camp.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Oh come on, I'm an avid linux user and I only use Windows for Photoshop and very occasional games these days but seriously... all OSs have security problems including linux. Why doubt what MS is saying? I applied the security patches to my machine and it didn't BSOD/crater, I guess that branch of malware was not on my system. I believe them on this.

G

Well, at least the brakes work on microsoft. If a car had 'Windows',blah,blah,blah.

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
this happened to me on my windows 7 ultimate...my atapi.sys was infected, but i didnt want to delete it cause they say deleting it causes the computer to not start.

I just clean isntalled my windows 7 and all the updates installed correctly.

It was from me downloading and installing a exe that was corrupted with a virus

brantdk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I have seen this problem on both Vista and Windows 7. I could fix the problem on Vista but a clean install was need for the Win 7...

brantdk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Yep Sh1t happens...but not good if you have to re install 100´s of workstation in a company...Ms has to test there "Sh1t" before sending it out to millions. "Sh1t happens" is too easy.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]brantdk[/nom]Yep Sh1t happens...but not good if you have to re install 100´s of workstation in a company...Ms has to test there "Sh1t" before sending it out to millions. "Sh1t happens" is too easy.[/citation]
If you have 100s of workstations you also have a wsus and procedues for testing patches before they enter production systems. So in that case you wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.