[SOLVED] Mid 2007 iMac Random Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Look at the PSU and verify that all fans are actually working. You should also visually inspect the motherboard for any potential oddities (scorch or burn marks, something "missing" from where it should be, bulging capacitors, etc). You may also want to consider removing all heatsinks and cleaning the old thermal compound and replacing with new compound.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This seems to be a very common issue. This is just one link of many on the topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/9998325#9998325

Have you contacted Apple for assistance?

On the surface, it sounds like a typical heat and/or power issue. It could be something as simple as a defective fan to a failed component on the motherboard.

There does not appear to be a single answer to the many reports of this issue.

WolfGeezyie

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I know, i've had apple look at it before as well as apple certified shops and I honestly think there's something they just don't want to tell me and just keep my money so I'm finally going under the hood myself. I'm going to take the hard drive out and take a look at the PSU and hopefully that will be it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Look at the PSU and verify that all fans are actually working. You should also visually inspect the motherboard for any potential oddities (scorch or burn marks, something "missing" from where it should be, bulging capacitors, etc). You may also want to consider removing all heatsinks and cleaning the old thermal compound and replacing with new compound.

Good luck!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.