Mid-end GPU upgrade that fits me

Anonymous199

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
So my predicament is I need to upgrade from my low-end GPU to something more powerful, and I simply lack the knowledge and experience to know what it is I need exactly.

Here's the filled out template

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Late May
BUDGET RANGE: ≤300 USD

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 3D Power Gaming (Just Cause 3 in particular) at the highest settings. Other examples would be Shadow of Morder, Dishonored 2(When it's released) and a minor amount of video editing in Sony Vegas. Must be futureproof.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: PSU is a EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS, and the GPU is currently just a temporary HD 5450

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Motherboard - Biostar TA970
CPU - AMD FX-8320
Memory - G.Skill Ares
Case - Eclipse p400S
Fans are just 140mm ones I had laying around, they give plenty of airflow though so that's not a problem at all.
-----
I should point out, I use a 1600x900 monitor(at 60Hz) that only supports VGA and not a 1080p. I honestly like 16:9 resolution more and getting a new monitor isn't all that important for me because it suits my needs.
-----
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any reputable seller

From all the research I've done the conclusion I've come to for a GPU is a r9 380(4GB edition). It's a little overkill but I figure that makes if futureproof, but maybe another card with have more synergy with my CPU and I just don't know it or something.

Thank you for your help

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

your power supply is not that great, a 380 really should run on a 550w good unit.

get a gtx 960

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you are better off with an nvidia gpu when you have an amd cpu actually...

that motherboard is NOT overclocking friendly, weak power delivery etc