mid or full? and PSU help

sushikungen

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Hello guys, I am going to switch to a new chassi and I was wondering if I should get a mid or a full tower? Im also upgrading to a gtx 1070 soon so I was wondering if my 500W PSU is enough. (ps im really kinda bad at pc stuff).

thank you,

Solution
mATX = Mini-tower
ATX, 1-2 GPU = Mid-tower​
E-ATX/2+GPUs = full tower.

Although there's no clear definition what a full tower and what a mid tower is, there are some full sized mid-towers and some rather medium sized full-towers on the market.

As for PSU:
It depends on the exact 1070 model & the exact PSU you're using.
Generally mid towers are enough for any single GPU build.
Full towers for dual or tri card setups.

500w PSU? Depends what it actually is?? & the rest of your system components ?

The 1070 doesn't have massive power requirements & a good 500w is plenty.
I wouldn't want to be running a new $400 GPU on a 'box o crap' PSU though !!!

For most gamers and regular users those mATX cube style cases are more than enough. Most of the people buying full tower cases are doing so for aesthetic reasons. Like most of those guys with lifted trucks and huge tires. If you had three GPUs and eight hard drives you'd need a full tower. If you had an open loop liquid cooling system running to all your parts with a huge radiator and reservoir. You'd need a full tower. A good mid tower is more than enough for 2 way SLI, a couple of hard drives, Optical drive, SSD and closed loop liquid cooler for the CPU.

mATX = Mini-tower
ATX, 1-2 GPU = Mid-tower​
E-ATX/2+GPUs = full tower.

Although there's no clear definition what a full tower and what a mid tower is, there are some full sized mid-towers and some rather medium sized full-towers on the market.

As for PSU:
It depends on the exact 1070 model & the exact PSU you're using.

Solution

sushikungen

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Im using a i5 4670k, the psu is a corsair cx500m

sushikungen

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

im currently using a corsair cx500m psu, probably will be buying msi or strix