[SOLVED] Mid Range Build for entry video editing

Apr 23, 2021
Hello all,

I would like some help to select parts for my girlfriend's pc. On top of the usual activities, she also does sound editing and entry level video editing. The initial budget is on the order of 1000 euro. We are located in europe.

I am not experienced in video editing requirements, but I figured out that for entry level what you need is a reasonable processor, enough ram and some good drive on which you can write stuff fast enough. A beefy GPU is not required, it just accelerates the rendering of some effects. If this is right, I want to aim for a processor with integrated graphic card. Given the budget, probably at the moment intel is the better choice, even with those new AMD processors with integrated GPU.

As an initial guess, this is what I selected. If you see something terribly wrong or adjustments you think might be good, just suggest, the post here is for that. Please mind that some stuff in europe can cost horribly more compared to US, even taking into account favorable exchange rates.

ComponentSelectionPrice in Euro
CPUIntel i5 11400180
MotherboardAsus Prime B560 Plus130
RAMCorsair LPX 16 Gb 3200 Mhz90
Storage 1 ( Operating System, Programs, Writing)Samsung 970 evo plus 500GB85
Storage 2 (Actual Storing, stuff gets moved there after encoding)Seagate Barracuda 2TB60
CPU coolerCooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition35
PSUCorsair RMx 550W80
CaseFractal design Meshify C80
WIFI-Bluetooth AdapterTp-Link Archer TX3000E45
WindowsWindows145
Screen + Mouse + God Knows WhatTBDEstimated 150
TOTAL1080

Some notes or questions:
  • the 550W PSU is a bit overkill, but at one point we might add a thunderbolt card. Also, I can't find a good quality modular PSUs below 550W.
  • Is the CPU reasonable? Should I try to squeeze 2 additional cores ? We don't have to render Avengers End Game 2 in 16K. It's a side activity required in her musician career.
  • Does anybody have an estimate of the RAM usage per core when rendering? For example, in CFD Simulations it's 2-4 Gb per core, but rendering is not CFD. I think 16 Gb is enough, but I want to make sure
  • Cooler Choice? Seems budget but I saw good reviews. Will it keep cool enough even when boosting with 6 cores? That 65 watt TDP is a lie.
  • Where would you cut price? Where would you spend more?
If you have additional suggestions, they are welcome :)

Lorenzo

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Hello all,

I would like some help to select parts for my girlfriend's pc. On top of the usual activities, she also does sound editing and entry level video editing. The initial budget is on the order of 1000 euro. We are located in europe.

I am not experienced in video editing requirements, but I figured out that for entry level what you need is a reasonable processor, enough ram and some good drive on which you can write stuff fast enough. A beefy GPU is not required, it just accelerates the rendering of some effects. If this is right, I want to aim for a processor with integrated graphic card. Given the budget, probably at the moment intel is the better choice, even with those new AMD processors with integrated...
Apr 23, 2021
Thx for the answer :),

I7 10700 at the moment is about 280 euro. It also uses PCIe3. True that nothing in the system would use PCIe4 for the time being. It is an option to go for the i7 10700 and downgrade the motherboard to the previous generation. That is the other choice i am evaluating.

Apr 23, 2021
she probably wouldn't use that much cores/threads.

I think so too, if she wanted to go strong on video editing, we would need a completely different beast. If the i7 price is 70-80% more, this might be not worth :/

Btw, do you have any advice on wifi cards? When I bought mine, the mobo had it alrdy. I was looking at Tp-Link AC 1300. It just has to get the job done on video calls and so on.

Thanks a lot :)

Hello all,

I am not experienced in video editing requirements, but I figured out that for entry level what you need is a reasonable processor, enough ram and some good drive on which you can write stuff fast enough. A beefy GPU is not required, it just accelerates the rendering of some effects. If this is right, I want to aim for a processor with integrated graphic card. Given the budget, probably at the moment intel is the better choice, even with those new AMD processors with integrated GPU.

As an initial guess, this is what I selected. If you see something terribly wrong or adjustments you think might be good, just suggest, the post here is for that. Please mind that some stuff in europe can cost horribly more compared to US, even taking into account favorable exchange rates.

ComponentSelectionPrice in Euro
CPUIntel i5 11400180
MotherboardAsus Prime B560 Plus130
RAMCorsair LPX 16 Gb 3200 Mhz90
Storage 1 ( Operating System, Programs, Writing)Samsung 970 evo plus 500GB85
Storage 2 (Actual Storing, stuff gets moved there after encoding)Seagate Barracuda 2TB60
CPU coolerCooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition35
PSUCorsair RMx 550W80
CaseFractal design Meshify C80
WIFI-Bluetooth AdapterTp-Link Archer TX3000E45
WindowsWindows145
Screen + Mouse + God Knows WhatTBDEstimated 150
TOTAL1080

Some notes or questions:
  • the 550W PSU is a bit overkill, but at one point we might add a thunderbolt card. Also, I can't find a good quality modular PSUs below 550W.
  • Is the CPU reasonable? Should I try to squeeze 2 additional cores ? We don't have to render Avengers End Game 2 in 16K. It's a side activity required in her musician career.
  • Does anybody have an estimate of the RAM usage per core when rendering? For example, in CFD Simulations it's 2-4 Gb per core, but rendering is not CFD. I think 16 Gb is enough, but I want to make sure
  • Cooler Choice? Seems budget but I saw good reviews. Will it keep cool enough even when boosting with 6 cores? That 65 watt TDP is a lie.
  • Where would you cut price? Where would you spend more?
If you have additional suggestions, they are welcome :)

Lorenzo
That Asus board has an M.2 Key E slot that supports Intel's Wi Fi 6 wireless + Bluetooth desktop kit that comes complete with antennas.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-B560-PLUS/techspec/

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Intel-AX200-Wi-Fi-Desktop-999VGD/dp/B085M7VPDP/
Intel AX200 Gig+ Wi-Fi 6 Desktop Kit, 999VGD €24.26

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdbAu1k4UJg

Last edited:
Solution

jdominicjackson

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
actually what you have listed is WAAAY over specced for basic video editing and sound mixing. You could use an old i5 3rd gen or pretty much any quad core cpu. You are making a machine tht is capable of HEAVY lifting ... Not entry level.

Apr 23, 2021
Several Reasons,

1 year ago she was doing no video editing, today she finds herself editing almost on a daily basis. In one year, who knows. The pc has to be future proof to a reasonable extent. Also, by watching her smashing buttons on my gaming pc, I think she would like a similarly smooth machine. This brings me also to the argument against very old parts like the i5 in your build, which might get the job done, but that is it. Basically we want to spend once, but spend.

I prefer requiring a budget and do the best I can with the budget, rather than setting a task and spending the lowest I can for that task

Concerning the GPU, everything but the very basic ones is overpriced. I might put in the current one I have in my pc, when I get to buy a modern gaming GPU for a reasonable price. So that wont be an issue. When I get to swap GPU is another question.

Last edited: