Build Advice Mid-range database server build for software development ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2021
Hello Hardware-Experts,

I come here in the hope that you can help out a layman. I plan to do a little software development on databases and I need some advice on what is what on the current market.

The requirements are:
CPUIntel Core i3 minimum, Intel Core i7 recommended.
Memory2GB minimum, 16GB or more recommended.
Storage10GB SATA Minimum, SSD with SATA Express or NVMe recommended.

I would like to go with the recommended option. From what I understand about the specific database implementation is that the communication between disk, memory and cpu is paramount. I would also like to have the option to put in a mid-range nvidia GPU for some parallel programming development. It will not have to look like much, but I need a standard network custom interface (as almost every machine has.).

My budget would be around 1.5k Euros.

Is this information sufficient?

All the best
Twerp

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Joshpanwww22

kanewolf

Titan
Hello Hardware-Experts,

I come here in the hope that you can help out a layman. I plan to do a little software development on databases and I need some advice on what is what on the current market.

The requirements are:

I would like to go with the recommended option. From what I understand about the specific database implementation is that the communication between disk, memory and cpu is paramount. I would also like to have the option to put in a mid-range nvidia GPU for some parallel programming development. It will not have to look like much, but I need a standard network custom interface (as almost every machine has.).

All the best
Twerp
How much data do you plan on loading into this database?
A dev build that is going to have 1000 rows is very different from one with 100,000 rows

Apr 1, 2021
How much data do you plan on loading into this database?
A dev build that is going to have 1000 rows is very different from one with 100,000 rows
Thank you, spot on! It's going to be a graph database with - in the end - 100 Mio + 50 Mio nodes and quite a number of edges, too. I realise that I might have to reduce this a bit (db being neo4j).

Best, Twerp

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you, spot on! It's going to be a graph database with - in the end - 100 Mio + 50 Mio nodes and quite a number of edges, too. I realise that I might have to reduce this a bit (db being neo4j).

Best, Twerp
If noise doesn't matter, I would try to find a USED Dell or HP 2U server (R720, DL380G8 or G9). You get ECC RAM, you get SAS disks. This is a typical host for a production database server.

Hello Hardware-Experts,

The requirements are:

All the best
Twerp

Unfortunately I can't recommendations without knowing which OS or database system you intend to use, or which programming language. Knowing size and schema (stored procedures or blobs) can affect performance also. Then there's transaction support and recovery.

If you are looking for something open source, and cheap for tinkering, yet is powerful, I recommend SQLite. Works with a variety of languages like JAVA, .NET, and C++

If you are straight Linux, I would recommend the standard LAMP stack and work from there.

If you need large scaling in the future like clouds and failover redundancy, or large blobs, then SQLServer.

I cannot and do not recommend Oracle. They will rip you blind and nickel and dime you to death with upsells, and not deliver when you hire consultants.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021
For creating software you don't need high specs on your computer. All you will do is to write correctly the code. The main problem is that it is hard to do it correctly, and it is hard to follow and make it working without any glitches because it needs a lot of tests to verify if it is working correctly. This is why it is better to get the help of some software development company for making it. I needed a special database software for the deposit for better accounting of what comes in and what goes out, and a software development company can develop it very fast at a good price.

Last edited:
Reactions: deandrehermann22
I would suggest check on Amazon. At work we’ve bought a few used servers and had success. Sometimes you can get something like a 12 core server with 64 or 128gb of ram, and say 6 2tb hard drives that can be set up in raid 6, so you can have 2 drives die and data will be ok.

I would consider looking at something like that. As someone above said you’d get actual server grade hardware which might be helpful depending what you are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.