Mid-range Gaming CPU Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hi Guy's! Samo here!

I'm still having a VERY hard time deciding on the CPU I should get for my first Gaming Computer. I have ALREADY bought my MotherBoard, Gigabyte's GA-970a-D3 AM3+, so that's why I'm going with AMD. I would like a CPU that can handle multitasking and multi-display's. I do A LOT of gaming so it MUST preform well. I have been looking at AMD's Phenom II X4 955, FX-6100 and FX-4100. I can spend under $160USD I will ONLY go over if it's better too.

~Samo

Solution
Too bad you already bought the motherboard. Sandy/Ivy Bridge is the way to go.

However, since you do have the motherboard, I would say to go for the FX-6100. Though, PLAN ON OVERCLOCKING IT IF YOU WANT GOOD PERFORMANCE!!! Seriously! Its really easy to overclock, and you can hit 4.5Ghz or more very easily. If you do not want to overclock, I would suggest staying away from the FX line of CPUs. Look for a Phenom II x6 on ebay, or go with the x4 955. Hopefully, Piledriver will fix the woes of AMD and you can upgrade to the new generation when it comes out. Hope this helps!

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Too bad you already bought the motherboard. Sandy/Ivy Bridge is the way to go.

However, since you do have the motherboard, I would say to go for the FX-6100. Though, PLAN ON OVERCLOCKING IT IF YOU WANT GOOD PERFORMANCE!!! Seriously! Its really easy to overclock, and you can hit 4.5Ghz or more very easily. If you do not want to overclock, I would suggest staying away from the FX line of CPUs. Look for a Phenom II x6 on ebay, or go with the x4 955. Hopefully, Piledriver will fix the woes of AMD and you can upgrade to the new generation when it comes out. Hope this helps!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.