Question Mid-range gaming PC experiencing ocassional lag. Videos, general browsing, and video games (?)

May 13, 2019
It's quite irritating. I've noticed lag/ some sort of microstutter/framerate drop occasionally in video games, but I play in 1440p and maxed settings (Sekiro, a modern high fidelity game) so seeing it a once in a few hours is okay. I'm not 100% sure how often I've noticed it, but since I play less games and spend more time watching videos and browsing, it's been less of an issue but also I stretch the limits of my PC by playing maxed/ultra/1440p etc.

What I don't understand is why I see 1080p and 4K videos with a half a second lag every now and then on any browser (I must note that I use Firefox primarily but I've checked it on Edge too. I can't find any conclusive evidence that the latter is an improvement over FireFox but it can feel like it). More importantly, I've noticed this on saved video files for 4K and 1080p as well. On saved videos, it's a bit more rare, but it can still be irritating as I have a mid-high range gaming computer, and by rights I shouldn't be experiencing this. I use VLC and Potplayer for videos. VLC is worse for 4K in general.

I built my computer this February. Mys specs are as follows:

RTX 2060
AMD 5 Ryzen 2600
16 GB RAM
1 TB SSD + 3 TB HDD
650W PSU
ASUS B450-F motherboard

It's really put me at a loss. And while the issue is minor, I feel as though I shouldn't be experiencing this at all with my computer. Is it a hardware problem? Is it a CPU drivers problem?

It's quite irritating. I've noticed lag/ some sort of microstutter/framerate drop occasionally in video games, but I play in 1440p and maxed settings (Sekiro, a modern high fidelity game) so seeing it a once in a few hours is okay. I'm not 100% sure how often I've noticed it, but since I play less games and spend more time watching videos and browsing, it's been less of an issue but also I stretch the limits of my PC by playing maxed/ultra/1440p etc.

What I don't understand is why I see 1080p and 4K videos with a half a second lag every now and then on any browser (I must note that I use Firefox primarily but I've checked it on Edge too. I can't find any conclusive evidence that the latter is an improvement over FireFox but it can feel like it). More importantly, I've noticed this on saved video files for 4K and 1080p as well. On saved videos, it's a bit more rare, but it can still be irritating as I have a mid-high range gaming computer, and by rights I shouldn't be experiencing this. I use VLC and Potplayer for videos. VLC is worse for 4K in general.

I built my computer this February. Mys specs are as follows:

RTX 2060
AMD 5 Ryzen 2600
16 GB RAM
1 TB SSD + 3 TB HDD
650W PSU
ASUS B450-F motherboard

It's really put me at a loss. And while the issue is minor, I feel as though I shouldn't be experiencing this at all with my computer. Is it a hardware problem? Is it a CPU drivers problem?
I believe your monitor should solve this (If it's a gsync panel)

May 13, 2019
That's your issue! (most likely) since you mentioned stuttering which could be screen stuttering read this article for a better understanding
I don't experience screen tearing though.

Remember that I experience browser lag. Like say, 1.5 second delay in the URL bar ocassionally. Sometimes I switch windows and there will be a bit of lag. I'm sure this isn't to do with my internet. I have a feeling it's a CPU thing. I've checked task manager and when I experience a bad stutter, I try to check it at and it always drop dramatically to like 60% to single digit %. In lag-free usage it drops from 25-27% and then back down to normal 1-3%.

Last edited:
I don't experience screen tearing though.

Remember that I experience browser lag. Like say, 1.5 second delay in the URL bar ocassionally. Sometimes I switch windows and there will be a bit of lag. I'm sure this isn't to do with my internet. I have a feeling it's a CPU thing. I've checked task manager and when I experience a bad stutter, I try to check it at and it always drop dramatically to like 60%. In lag-free usage it's 25-27%.
Oh wait a moment I read your post wrong my bad! I mean you have a pretty beefy CPU so hmm not really sure I'd wait for more experienced people to reply here

Reactions: _Hiraeth_
May 13, 2019
Anyone?
edit: it seems as if restarting the PC makes it run a lot better and I don't notice any choppiness. I can't tell if I have unrealistic expectations of my computer or I have done something with the hardware/ or if there's too much software that I'm using that's done something with my computer or if it's just hardware disappointing me with performance. There's too many variables.

Last edited: