[SOLVED] Mid-range gaming system - B550, Ryzen 3600x, Sapphire 5600XT - Is this a good build?

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Hi,

So I wanted to build a mid-range gaming PC. I really enjoy building PC's. It's like adult legos, or sitting down and doing a puzzle for me. And I want to build a valuable PC worth someone buying (I have two PC's of my own that I've constructed myself).

I would like to start casually (and occasionally) building something that someone would buy for the raw price of parts I bought + 10 % of the total price after I do the following:
  1. Construct it correctly, and construct a GOOD PC that a reasonable person wants
  2. I go in and overclock it, and add extra value
I've had some good success with both, all things considered.

But I am not an expert yet. I do not want to screw someone by making bad decisions, and taking advantage of them (in this case not intentionally). So, in summary, I don't plan to keep this machine. I am going to take the receipts, provide everything necessary to register warranties, and charge a premium of 10% on top of that for the cost of construction and overclocking. I intend to provide the results of my OC via 3dMark and Superposition (I have the premium versions), along with several free benchmarks.

To note, I understand compatibility, including the QVL list. For example, I chose a dual channel memory solution explicitly listed as tested and compatible in the chosen motherboard's QVL list. It seems like PC Part Picker is okay with the compatibility. Although it does list that the chosen PC tower has a USB-C IO option that would not have a connector for this motherboard. I want this to be a medium-range build, so I don't want to break the bank on a PC tower; but is there a better option for A) A motherboard that has the USB-C connectors, or B) A tower that does not provide an option that my mobo cannot make use of? Or maybe C) Is PCpartpicker incorrect here, because I read options on the B550 mobo's that I tried (tried more than the one selected) that mention USB-C connectors?

(Note, I have a Windows USB for installing the OS. This would be a ~16$ OEM key setup on this system, and the buyers will know it cost only that much).

Thank you for any suggestions!

Here is my PC part picker list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/tsibiski/saved/z4yk99

Last edited:
Solution
Do you have any specific suggestions? I'd really appreciate it :)

Specificially - Should I use the stock cooler? Or should I use a high-end Noctua fan instead of an AIO water cooler? Plus, what do you have in mind for a better GPU, a Radeon 5700? Or something in the Nvidia line?

Note: For what it's worth, PCPartPicker lists that specific AIO for a full 40$ more than what I would pay for it on Amazon. So it is really ~120. That might not change this situation in your opion, but wanted to mention it.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard:...

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Drop the pricey water cooler and invest it in the gpu.

Specificially - Should I use the stock cooler? Or should I use a high-end Noctua fan instead of an AIO water cooler? Plus, what do you have in mind for a better GPU, a Radeon 5700? Or something in the Nvidia line?

Note: For what it's worth, PCPartPicker lists that specific AIO for a full 40$ more than what I would pay for it on Amazon. So it is really ~120. That might not change this situation in your opion, but wanted to mention it.

Last edited:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.90 @ B&H)
Total: $1278.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-14 22:30 EDT-0400

Reactions: tsibiski
Solution
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($102.69 @ Amazon)
Total: $1296.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-14 22:37 EDT-0400

Reactions: tsibiski