Question Mid vs Full Tower Case?

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I've been going back and forth about what I want for my next build. Can't start my build until I start buying components and the very first thing is case choice. Up until my last build I always had a mid-tower case and I always had issues having enough room to work on cabling, setting up the system board without destroying my hands and fingers and just feeling like things were too cramped. Flash forward to now and I've been happy with my Corsair 750D Airflow case but with its optical drives and its dated design a replacement is needed. Initially, I thought about going with the Corsair 7000D airflow but I have space issues at the moment and the 7000D is even taller in height than the 750D Airflow. Not ideal for my current living situation.

It is more than roomy otherwise though and I do like the design. Perhaps I'd have more than enough room in the Corsair 5000D Airflow? (I'm not a fan of RGB builds it's just not my thing) My only concern is if it's too cramped to work inside of comfortably. What I saw of the 4000D Airflow suggested that would be but I imagine the 5000D is just large enough to be fine to work inside of. Would I be correct?

Potential other cases I was considering were the Fractal Meshify 2 and XL.

Here's the build I'm going for in my new case:

My new Ryzen 7 soon to be Ryzen 9 Build

Potential component areas of concern that I already own and plan to migrate over that factor into my choosing of case are:

Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler (already own) (it's huge and this is the S compatible model too) Probably the biggest area of concern next to the graphics card. Need to have enough room to accommodate it.

EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (already own this otherwise i'd get the 3070 TI or 3070) It worries me as it's a bit on the longer side. In the future also want the new case I pick to have enough room to fit a 4090 potentially in it AND be able to close the door to the case as well.

G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL36 Memory (will own) (hoping the RAM has enough clearance in the board/case to fit under the CPU fan)

SeaSonic PRIME 1300 Gold 1300 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Already own. Need this to fit too)

Any ideas about which case might be best?

I'd like the Corsair 5000D Airflow and maybe the Fractal Meshify 2 but is it worth looking at the 7000D Airflow or the Fractal Meshify XL instead for the extra room? I felt like one thing I learned from my Corsair 750D Airflow is there's such a thing as wasted extra space. But I do like having no issues when I'm doing work inside it.

Last edited:
Why not look at something different?
Lian li makes top quality cases.
The air mini is a bit different:
I like the lancool216 if you turn off the rgb:
Both have the headroom for a NH-D15.
Some motherboards place the first pcie slot too close to the cpu.
Noctua has a motherboard compatibility checker.
As an alternative, the NH-D15s is a higher compatibility variant that offsets the towers a touch.

Last edited:

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Let me tell you about my recent experiences.

I had been using 760T's for twin builds (full case) and a Be quote 601 (large mid tower) for the HTC.

I replaced the 760T's with a the Lian Li Mesh III, (very close in size even though its mid vs full), however not having the 5.25 drive bays improves airflow etc. I love these cases.

The 601 got replaced with the lian Li AIR (amazing case as well).

Factual are great cases.

i would use the deepcool Ak620 or peerless 120(tests great with the ak620 and lot cheaper).

The Lan MESH III and Air are two different looking cases.....both are great.

I would get the 4070 or 4070TI over the 3080 at this point.

I just really enjoy these Lian Li cases, their amazing.......just make sure your card fits.

Lan Mesh III is almost a full tower case with amazing cooling. I have 10 case fans and its just great.

Hope my experiences help you.

(I did look at the 4000,5000,7000, but after having corsair wanted to try something different, and I prefer the Lan MESH over their current options. 7000 is huge and just overkill )

Lian LI Air has great fan placement and super cool form factor.........

Go 6000mhz ram.....

I have 4 sticks with the ak620 and 4 sticks with the peerless 120 ZERO issues with RAM clearances.....

I got the o11 Air Mini, awesome case, plenty of room, I got the NH-D11 on my 5900x, the only issue with it is my ram it too tall so Im only using a single fan on it, but the cooler clears the side panel. I needed HDD mounting and 2.5 inch mounting and the o11 pretty much had what I needed.

Before that I had the Lian Li Lancool 215, the side panel was really close to the cooler like the glass touched the side panel close, its the same chassis as the the 216.

I got the o11 Air Mini, awesome case, plenty of room, I got the NH-D11 on my 5900x, the only issue with it is my ram it too tall so Im only using a single fan on it, but the cooler clears the side panel. I needed HDD mounting and 2.5 inch mounting and the o11 pretty much had what I needed.

Before that I had the Lian Li Lancool 215, the side panel was really close to the cooler like the glass touched the side panel close, its the same chassis as the the 216.
CPU Clearance:166mm

CPU Clearance:180.5mm